Trying out rifles

Hello,

I'm keen to get my first rifle and have been out stalking a couple of times. Are there places where you can try out different rifles and calibres? I'm in Brighton but it's not that far from Bisley and was wondering if there are any 'try it' days on through the year. Alternatively, if there are any clubs or ranges which let people come along and have a go a bit nearer that would be great.

Thanks,

James

I don't know how far Glastonbury is from you but a visit to Steve Beatty at ivythorn sporting is well worth the drive. They have their own on site range and when I made the long long drive there from Norfolk they made me extremely welcome, gave me free reign to shoot a multitude of rifles in all calibre and even fed me !!
(and I came away with a superb deal on a beautiful Sauer 202 elegance in .243 calibre)

I'd totally agree with Norfolk Steve. Steve Beatty has a wonderful selection to chose from, and the guys there will make you feel very welcome. The range is superb too and very comfortable.

I'd totally agree with Norfolk Steve. Steve Beatty has a wonderful selection to chose from, and the guys there will make you feel very welcome. The range is superb too and very comfortable.
Absolutely Rupert, I won't go into details but Steve was very very good to me and I can't speak highly enough of them. When I want a new rifle I will again make the long drive there.

I totally agree. Steve Beaty at Ivythorn Sporting is well with a visit. If you do consider making the journey I suggest that you phone him first to make an appointment. He's busy and not aways available.

Last edited:
I don't know how far Glastonbury is from you but a visit to Steve Beatty at ivythorn sporting is well worth the drive. They have their own on site range and when I made the long long drive there from Norfolk they made me extremely welcome, gave me free reign to shoot a multitude of rifles in all calibre and even fed me !!
(and I came away with a superb deal on a beautiful Sauer 202 elegance in .243 calibre)

I bet they were glad you didn't walk off with a Gat gun then!

Another vote for Steve Beatty. He's a top chap we drove from Essex to see him the other week a friend of mine bought a Merkel helix from him he couldn't do enough for us tea on arrival and all the time in the world to show us every thing then we got to try on his range a superbe set up. Definitely worth the trip. :thumb:

yet another vote for steve ,opportunity to try before you buy plus he will do you a good deal

Back