Security while travelling

Targetman

Hi
Can anyone share some advice on kit to keep rifles secure in cars and bolt carriers while staying in BBs or pubs etc when staying away stalking?

I've always just walked in with mine, and use a motorcycle chain & lock to secure it to something immovable in the room when I'm eating. The bolt and ammo never leave me.

If some got chippy with me, I'd probably take it back to the car and secure to the anchor points in the boot with the same chain, then throw something over the top to keep it out of sight.

"Reasonable precaution" is the phrase (near enough)

I'd add that being discrete is your first line of reasonable precaution. The less "gunny" your gear looks, the better. Don't turn up in full camo with blood stains either.

Same as the above, unless you are at a hunter friendly lodge or hotel:
1. Break it down and carry inside your luggage. Get a rolling duffel with a zipper compartment below which holds a slim alumimun gun case.

2. Secure the hard case with a bicycle cable lock.

3. Buy a contruction site gang box, like electricians use to transport tools and lock them up on a job site, and put it into the back of your SUV.

4. Long ago, I had a steel box made for my vehicle or hunting cabin, which has a recess for the padlock, so no cutters can reach it. It is painted a blue/gray, like the interior carpet, and sits below the window line. It has 4 holes in the bottom so that I can bolt it to a floor in a closet.

5. Also long ago, I built a two piece cabinet which fits into a pickup bed with camper cover or a big SUV. They create a false floor in the vehicle. The front section has a trap door. The back section has a drawer which hold long guns and ammunition, and slides out over the tail gate. There are companies which sell these now, like Truck Vault.

I travel all over the USA with firearms and fishing tackle, and never had a problem.

Last edited:
I have a custom made box made by a joiner friend of mine which bolts into the back of my 4x4 using the fastening sockets normally used for the tie down anchorages . It has a built in lock so unless someone brings along a chainsaw they can`t get in. the bolt and ammo I keep with me

For travelling locally I bolted a heavy chrome chain to the seatbelt anchor points under the rear seat and padlock this to the trigger guard then simply lay a car blanket over the rifle. (bolt & ammo kept separate of course)

Follow the home office guidelines - a sticky on this sight.

As above keep it discrete. Keep ammo and firing pin seperate and if leaving vehicle take with you. Have a cable lock and look it in your room to bed, pipe work etc.

If you are travelling long distance / spending several days on holiday etc but needing your rifle for just a few, have it sent up to a gunshop near your destination and pick it up on the way thorough - probably cheaper than flying with it.

Out of interest. If away on hols could you ask a local police station to hold rifle for you if not needed for a few days? If you can do they charge? Are they likely to be surprised by such a request and get all jumpy or do other do it?

Out of interest. If away on hols could you ask a local police station to hold rifle for you if not needed for a few days? If you can do they charge? Are they likely to be surprised by such a request and get all jumpy or do other do it?

good question that john

...I imagine they'd point you towards the nearest RFD, rather than have firearms in their station. RFD would probably charge, but a few quid a day for peace of mind whilst you're sightseeing or whatever doesn't sound like it would blow the holiday budget....

Back