bedding compound

nick-h

Im after some bedding compound i nearly finished making a stock for my howa and I fancy bedding it but I dont now which is the best compound to use and were do i get it from , I have herd of people using 2 part body filler and having good results for bedding and done many rifles , has anyone used body filler to bed there rifle before
Cheers

Devcon steel putty or Marine Tex, or any two part epoxy will do. The first two are well know trade names so come at a price.

i prefer probed 2000, available in 4oz or 8oz brown or black, usually stocked by norman clark.

for small bedding jobs like just doing the recoil lug and the first parallel section of the barrel, standard JB Weld does equally well, but I suppose is not so 'professional' :rolleyes:

Devcon, I tried most other things, but won't use anything else.

Simply, it works, its easy to clean, it cures without shrinkage and it can be machined easily.

Devcon is has been designed with a standard good enough for the aircraft industry...Worth every penny.

Just looked at the link above and it stats "Plastic Steel Putty bonds to most metals, concrete and some plastics." So does it bond well to a wooden stock

Yes... like **** to a blanket ))....you need to dremel away the wood you don't need, lots of research if your not sure , make sure all is prepped well and once you do the job it will bond to your stock. This stuff can be drilled n tapped ....rest assured it will bond to a wooden stock and never move

I've bedded the rifle last night with epoxy steel putty and it went very well so I'll see how it shoots at the weekend now

MatchGrade Bedding Kit - Terminal Ballistics Research

These guys will ship all over the world. They will sell smaller quantities required to do just one rifle as opposed to a fairly large tub that will go off before you get a chance to use it all.

Yes Nathan will ship, but with customs you will (as I did ) pay £70 ..that's a lot for a bedding job. I bought a big tub of Devcon and it is still fit for use two years later,used it last week, remember sell by dates on epoxies etc are just the same as in Tescos..it just to cover themselves.

Back