Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mannlicher Luxus .308 20" barrel - thoughts?

Mannlicher Luxus .308 20" barrel - thoughts?

I've got the option from a friend to buy a Mannlicher Luxus 20" barrel in .308. It's in good condition and has the old side safety not the rolling tang safety which I haven't got on with. I've had a couple of Mannlichers before, but just wondered if anyone had used or owned a 20" barrel .308 one and your thoughts on them. 20" is short, but it would be a pointable wee rifle even if the ballistics aren't quite as good.

Ballistics not as good? or velocity not as high? The added one hundred and fifty feet per second isn't anything a well-hit deer would notice if the Mann sported a 22-inch barrel. You can work around it. Like you said, it would be a sweetheart to hunt with if left bare bones. (no bipods or other junk hanging off of it)~Muir

Thanks. That's exactly my thinking, Muir. Keep it light with no 'pod or moderator - shot well enough without them for years. And if velocity were ever an issue, which it's not as I'm not really a speed freak, I'd switch to my favourite 130gr soft point homeloads. My Remy LSR .308 has a 21" tube and I get on very well with it; shoots way better than I ever will. I'm just used to longer barrelled Mannlichers and getting used to the idea of a 'carbine' version.

Here's are some articles and commentary that agree on a 20" barrel being fine for a .308:;f=15;t=001773

20" is perfect for a light weight .308, ive used one for years and love it, Rel 15 with 150g Nosler BT is good medicine for Deer.

I have the 20" barrel on the Mauser in .308 kills moose OK.

I like the stripped down hunters. One of my favorite hunting rifles is an ancient, finish bare C.G. Haenel 8x57J with a two leaf express sight. Light as a willow wand and points like your finger. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I can't shoot overly far, but I can shoot quick and straight when I do.~Muir

I have a 20" .243 Mannlicher stutzen and a friend has a 20" barrel .308 Mannlicher stutzen which are both lovely to shoot - pointable, not too barky, and kill deer at any reasonable range.

Even in "High intensity cartridges" such as the .270 Winchester short barrels give very good results. My first ever full bore rifle was a BSA CF2 "Stutzen" that has a 20" barrel. Now normal loadings usually produce a fire ball at the muzzle but by handloading with a slightly faster powder that one would normally use in the 270 Winchester this is eliminated to no more than normal muzzle flash.

On the range I have shot this rifle with 130 grain Ballitis Tips, pre the expanding bullet sutidity , at 600 yards with excellent accuracy. I happen to have soft spot for full stocked rifles.

I run a super-light steyr-mannlicher scout rifle, 19" barrel in .308 RL15 OR Varget loads will easily get you 2,700fps in a 150gn bullet. Q. though, if there are so many fans of light-weight uncluttered rifles out there why does the Scout get such a bad rap?? I have my ideas but I will wait to see others opinions.

Last time someone asked for an oppinion on the M-S Scout rifle i said they were plastic trash. They seemed to get a bit upset about that. I don't know how M-S have come to turning out a thing like that when you look at what they used to make. JMO.