Mannlicher Luxus .308 20" barrel - thoughts?

Mauser66

Hi,
I've got the option from a friend to buy a Mannlicher Luxus 20" barrel in .308. It's in good condition and has the old side safety not the rolling tang safety which I haven't got on with. I've had a couple of Mannlichers before, but just wondered if anyone had used or owned a 20" barrel .308 one and your thoughts on them. 20" is short, but it would be a pointable wee rifle even if the ballistics aren't quite as good.

Cheers

Ballistics not as good? or velocity not as high? The added one hundred and fifty feet per second isn't anything a well-hit deer would notice if the Mann sported a 22-inch barrel. You can work around it. Like you said, it would be a sweetheart to hunt with if left bare bones. (no bipods or other junk hanging off of it)~Muir

Thanks. That's exactly my thinking, Muir. Keep it light with no 'pod or moderator - shot well enough without them for years. And if velocity were ever an issue, which it's not as I'm not really a speed freak, I'd switch to my favourite 130gr soft point homeloads. My Remy LSR .308 has a 21" tube and I get on very well with it; shoots way better than I ever will. I'm just used to longer barrelled Mannlichers and getting used to the idea of a 'carbine' version.

Here's are some articles and commentary that agree on a 20" barrel being fine for a .308:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001773

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Tactical_Shooting/Remington_M700_LTR/remington_m700_ltr.html

20" is perfect for a light weight .308, ive used one for years and love it, Rel 15 with 150g Nosler BT is good medicine for Deer.

I like the stripped down hunters. One of my favorite hunting rifles is an ancient, finish bare C.G. Haenel 8x57J with a two leaf express sight. Light as a willow wand and points like your finger. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I can't shoot overly far, but I can shoot quick and straight when I do.~Muir

I have a 20" .243 Mannlicher stutzen and a friend has a 20" barrel .308 Mannlicher stutzen which are both lovely to shoot - pointable, not too barky, and kill deer at any reasonable range.

Even in "High intensity cartridges" such as the .270 Winchester short barrels give very good results. My first ever full bore rifle was a BSA CF2 "Stutzen" that has a 20" barrel. Now normal loadings usually produce a fire ball at the muzzle but by handloading with a slightly faster powder that one would normally use in the 270 Winchester this is eliminated to no more than normal muzzle flash.

On the range I have shot this rifle with 130 grain Ballitis Tips, pre the expanding bullet sutidity :rolleyes:, at 600 yards with excellent accuracy. I happen to have soft spot for full stocked rifles.

I run a super-light steyr-mannlicher scout rifle, 19" barrel in .308 RL15 OR Varget loads will easily get you 2,700fps in a 150gn bullet. Q. though, if there are so many fans of light-weight uncluttered rifles out there why does the Scout get such a bad rap?? I have my ideas but I will wait to see others opinions.
Matt

Last time someone asked for an oppinion on the M-S Scout rifle i said they were plastic trash. They seemed to get a bit upset about that. I don't know how M-S have come to turning out a thing like that when you look at what they used to make. JMO.

www.prokennel.se

On what basis? well there i was in the local gun shop giving one the once over. Was iso impressed with its build quality, its tastefull use of plastic and it wanabe military look , NO. Have also shot one down the range and that did nothing to change my view. Like i said its just my opinion. If your happy with yours good for you.

www.prokennel.se

You are of course entitled to your opinion, however inflamatory or poorly informed it is.
Matt

You are of course entitled to your opinion, however inflamatory or poorly informed it is.
Matt

If you are looking for disposable rifle then the SM scout isnt half bad, well it wouldnt half bad if it didnt have the Alloy reciever.

Well that's put an end to that. My pal has changed his mind - just couldn't give up the old Mannlicher. Just as I'd got my head around buying it :D. Nevermind...maybe one will crop up again.

Reading this post made me wonder what my barrels measured:confused:.
Remmington 700Bdl LVSF .308 standard 20"
Styre Mannlicher Luxus 30-06 chopped to 20"
Styre Mannlicher Luxus .243 chopped to 20"
Remmington 700BDL .222 chopped to 16"
All are magic with homeloads, no Deer/Fox or otherwise has complained about being killed with a sub velocity/energy round:D

Well that's put an end to that. My pal has changed his mind - just couldn't give up the old Mannlicher. Just as I'd got my head around buying it :D. Nevermind...maybe one will crop up again.

Don't you just love it when this happens :doh: :evil: :evil: :evil: :D.

As for barrel lengths I think most of mine are 22" seems to be the norm :rolleyes: mind you it also seems that this "Normal/standard" length was adopted a long time ago now.

It's funny how things go in cycles :rolleyes: I expect that longer barrels will be in "fashion" again like has happened with shotguns. 30 years ago 28" was the norm with a few shorter ones and Wildfowl suitable guns had 30" barrels. now they use 32" on clays :rolleyes:.

Back