Countryside Alliance - Ever ready to sell out shooting...again!

enfieldspares

I've posted this on the latest "BASC bashing" thread. But I'll post it here too:

Countryside Alliance this, Countryside Alliance that. Well listen to BBC iPlayer for "Newsnight" of 18 November for what the CA says about shooting:

BBC iPlayer - Newsnight - 18/11/2014

41 minutes in. This from Anne Mallalieu President of the Countryside Alliance: "Nobody gives a thought about the suffering of foxes....what's actually happened to the foxes...because of the growth of commercial shooting...foxes are being shot at night by lampers...people with bright lights shooting them with guns.."

So do people here still really have this nonsensical idea that the CA is something that it is not? A friend of shooting? You're having a laugh!

It is in reality nothing more than the the old British Field Sports Society - a houndsports lobby - under another guise? And that, yet again, shooting is thrown up as "the villain" of the piece?

I am a member of BASC but correct me if i am wrong, the countryside alliance just got ACPO to drop the dedicated firearms snitch line.

I am a member of BASC but correct me if i am wrong, the countryside alliance just got ACPO to drop the dedicated firearms snitch line.

Dont let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

The CA covers all Fieldsports, which means sometimes conflicts occur....just as with the sports themselves.

Well I have to agree with her, everyday on this web site we here people banging on about deer being shot while pregnant, orphans being left to struggle through the winter, all shots should be humane,night shooting etc etc, but when it comes to fox shooting, anything goes, most shooters are just a bunch of hypocrites.

Well I have to agree with her, everyday on this web site we here people banging on about deer being shot while pregnant, orphans being left to struggle through the winter, all shots should be humane,night shooting etc etc, but when it comes to fox shooting, anything goes, most shooters are just a bunch of hypocrites.

I dont like shooting anything I cant eat except rats. I shoot rats because of the dammage they do to my house and the stuff in my sheads. If they left me alone id leave them alone

I dont particularly like shoting foxes. They do me no harm and I think they are one of the UKs more atractive anamals

However the land we have permision to shoot is owned by a farmer who has sheep and the foxes cause him problems and we are expected to keep the fox population down as part of our deal.

As theres no meet issue we use balistic tip and just shoot them any which way we can.

As with deer when they become a pest we can thermal image, night vision and lamp

Its just pest control

Fox hunting with hounds is not my cup of tea. I used to ride and did drags back in the day and they were great fun. I can see the attraction of the hunt but I do feel chasing a fox into submision and having it ripped apart by dogs is not in any way a humain dispatch

I am torn betwen something thats part of british culture and concern for the anamal

I err on the side of pro hunting with hounds but its a tough one to reconcile

Guns are a very emotive issue and there will always be an anti gun anti hunting lobby

My responce is, if you eat meet shut the hell up as just because your meet comes celephane wraped dosent make its death any more pleasent

Id also say OK ban guns and we will hunt with crossbows and bows.

and IMHO that will greatly increase the suffering of the beast due to mis placed shots

ATB

Chasey

As a sheep farmer and someone who has witnessed and photgraphed a fox killing a lamb, and shot foxes and hunted them on foot and horse, organised driven fox shoots, but shooting foxes just because you can , which is what most shooters do is not fox control.
As to hunting with a bow, I do that as well and it is far more humane, as bow hunters tend to only take the shot when all the conditions are right, so your opinion doe,s not really hold water.

Last edited:
As to hunting with a bow, I do that as well and it is far more humane, as bow hunters tend to only take the shot when all the conditions are right, so your opinion doe,s not really hold water.

Rifle shooters do that as well don't they?

I think you are getting off topic here. The original question was regarding the Countryside Alliances chairwoman sticking up for fox hunting with hounds and deriding shooting foxes, in particular lamping. Yes, people shooting foxes should take as much care about well placed shots as with deer and yes there are those who shoot who don't care a bit about foxes suffering from casual shots or shooting vixens in spring when cubs are about but the question is do the CA really represent us all in the country or is it just a fox hunting (hounds) social club which just takes along shooting, stalking and fishing to make it look good?
i am a member of the CA, BASC and British Deer Society. After Newsnight my CA membership is questionable.

Last edited:
As a sheep farmer and someone who has witnessed and photgraphed a fox killing a lamb, and shot foxes and hunted them on foot and horse, organised driven fox shoots, but shooting foxes just because you can , which is what most shooters do is not fox control.

Morning. have been having an argument with an anti who says there is no evidence that foxes kill lambs. Whilst I (and every sane person) knows that this is bollox I have no evidence. Do you have any photos or vid of such a thing?

Morning. have been having an argument with an anti who says there is no evidence that foxes kill lambs. Whilst I (and every sane person) knows that this is bollox I have no evidence. Do you have any photos or vid of such a thing?

Silencing that old chestnut shouldn’t be too difficult.

Things get far more interesting if he’s of the presence of mind to ask “why do YOU choose to shoot them?”

K

Of course that would be in another country wouldn't it! - as hunting live quarry with a bow is illegal in the UK - isn't it.

Surely a chicken farm has some footage of when a fox gets into a chicken Koop? As we all know they don't just kill one and eat it like other hunters would do to survive.

And aren't foxes only growing in numbers?

So are we slowly realising BASC just might be the best option to lead the fight for shooting even if not perfect, but then who is?

I do see that we will need to get behind one group and fully support them to secure the future of shooting tbh

For those who are interested in the original, very important theme here, I phoned the CA this morning to ask them what the hell the President of the CA was thinking when she made her remarks about shooting causing wounding and fox hunting being better than shooting on national television (Newsnight last night).
They very quickly came back with a, I feel very prejudiced, answer by email. Anybody interested in receiving their response can PM me with their email address and I'll forward their email to you.

For those who are interested in the original, very important theme here, I phoned the CA this morning to ask them what the hell the President of the CA was thinking when she made her remarks about shooting causing wounding and fox hunting being better than shooting on national television (Newsnight last night).
They very quickly came back with a, I feel very prejudiced, answer by email. Anybody interested in receiving their response can PM me with their email address and I'll forward their email to you.

Post it on here.

I am sure their current and prospective members would be keen to see it.

Sorry
I have to throw in my pennies worth.
I have hunted and I am a fox shooter and other things.
If you hunt a fox with a pack of hounds you either kill it or it gets away.
If you shoot at a fox with a rifle at some time you ae going to wound one and it will get away IT HAPPENS the CA are only telling the truth.

Who on here that shoots a lot of foxes can truthfully say they have never had one run wounded and had to shoot it again and then not found it.

Back