Update for the firing squad

Wingy

An update from this incident

Police accidental discharge
News just breaking

BBC News - Nottinghamshire girl hurt in police gun accident

For all those about to lock up the officer and throw away the key I believe from my sourse that:-

1. This was not an ND
2. The weapon was loaded with a blank
3. It was deliberately fired, muzzle pointing to the floor in a firearms / dog training demonstration exercise
4. All spectators were wearing adequate PPE, (eye & ear protection)
5. The injury - well I don't think an ambulance was needed
Wingy

Well if the police were more open in the first place, there would never have been a issue, I no there damned if they do, and damned if they don,t, after all from what I have read it was there statement that said there had been a accidental discharge.

Well if the police were more open in the first place, there would never have been a issue, I no there damned if they do, and damned if they don,t, after all from what I have read it was there statement that said there had been a accidental discharge.

The police don't comment about anything until the facts are known unlike the media (and a lot of members on here) which usually means by the time the truth comes out everyone has lost interest and the damage is done. Maybe some of the most vocal members who slated the officer for having an ND would like to comment now?

Or in twenty years time when the cover up has been discovered but all relevant parties have retired on a good pension ....... just saying like, not suggesting it would happen ? :rolleyes:

Interesting development! I read the original thread with some interest but tend to take most media reports with a pinch of salt. Looks like this one needed a very large pinch. Although. Having used blanks pretty extensively, I can't really see how much damage was done? The children had to be a fair distance away? Was it an ejecting case? If the weapon was fired at the ground there may have been some blast I suppose but was this enough to cause a small amount of debris to fly through the air!?

From the sounds of it my daughter falling over in the playground and grazing her knees today was far worse an injury by comparison but because there was a firearm involved it has been blown out of all proportion.

An update from this incident

Police accidental discharge
News just breaking

BBC News - Nottinghamshire girl hurt in police gun accident

For all those about to lock up the officer and throw away the key I believe from my sourse that:-

1. This was not an ND
2. The weapon was loaded with a blank
3. It was deliberately fired, muzzle pointing to the floor in a firearms / dog training demonstration exercise
4. All spectators were wearing adequate PPE, (eye & ear protection)
5. The injury - well I don't think an ambulance was needed
Wingy

is there a link you can post to this new information, it would be interesting to read it first-hand

In all honesty from what I can make out it was an ejecting case that caused a minor injury to the girls lip. If the young girl is anything like my daughter was it's unlikely they would see the mark amongst all the other bumps and scratches :lol:

Still leaves the question in my mind as to why a starter pistol wasn't used if this was a demonstration? :confused:

One set of rules for them, and another for the rest of us, hey?

A lot of fuss over nothing. I'm sure the police adhered to the correct safetey distance. Sometimes accidents just happen. It is a bad sign of our current culture to immediateley seek to blame the police officer.

A lot of fuss over nothing. I'm sure the police adhered to the correct safetey distance. Sometimes accidents just happen. It is a bad sign of our current culture to immediateley seek to blame the police officer.

I posted the original item more for info than a witch hunt.

Wingy
It still doesn't explain fully how the girl was hurt.
Was it a hot case that landed on her face or was it dirt kicked up from the ground?
Either way something went wrong and procedures need reviewed.
If it was one of us what do you think the reaction would be?
The full details are awaited.

Ed

Woodsmoke, seeing as the British armed police don't deploy with revolvers or starter pistols why would they practice with them in a joint training/demonstration with the dog unit? Surely practicing and training with what is operationally carried makes sense?

Well why shouldn't we? After all, what happens when the boot's on the other foot...............?

If it was one of us what do you think the reaction would be?

What do you think would happen if I (or anyone else including a child) was out pigeon shooting in a hide with a friend and was hit in the face by an empty cartridge from their shotgun? Or went out lamping and was hit with an empty round from a semi auto .22? Do you expect that their FAC would be revoked and they would face disciplinary action? Get a grip, accidents happen even when precautions are taken and just because it was a police officer involved doesn't automatically mean it should never have happened.

I don't have a link to this new information and can't really comment on where it came from as the investigation is still on going.

I believe the firearm used was an SLP & the injury was caused by an ejected case.
Wingy

So we're to criticise people for believing the original unconfirmed version of events on the basis of a different unconfirmed version of the event?

Well,well,well, so it's all down to who you believe.The News or the "Official Statement". Lot of bad press in Rotherham area at present and one or two " innocent" people inside. Sorry but I am afraid I treat late official statements with more than a little suspicion.

It's unbelievable someone goes out of their way to shortcut an announcement that will surely come in the fullness of time, but still the anti Police hysteria continues. You are all supposed to be reasonably minded FAC holders, for goodness sake act like it and wait until you are in possession of the facts before venting your spleen.

John

It's unbelievable someone goes out of their way to shortcut an announcement that will surely come in the fullness of time, but still the anti Police hysteria continues. You are all supposed to be reasonably minded FAC holders, for goodness sake act like it and wait until you are in possession of the facts before venting your spleen.

John

+1

I would like to know the full details of the incident and whether the lesson learnt will be passed on to the shooting fraternity in order that we all learn from it and to help others carrying out a similar exercise.
Or will be kept to the police force in question or will it even be divulged in any way

Ed

To be fair I can't see much anti-police hysteria on this thread, or spleen venting (well not much anyway).
I agree that the op is probably ill advised, as it seems to hint at unreleased information.

Back