ruger 1022

hodge911

hi just out of interest what is the starting point for improving the accuracy of my 1022 ??
don't get me wrong its not to bad I hit most things I shoot at but have heard stories of people making them VERY accurate. at not a massive cost so any ideas on what route to take ??

no comments on the lines of sell it etc please

I removed the barrel band, free floated the barrel, polished the sear and trigger release and lightened the trigger pull. All done myself after plenty of youtube research and tested for safety throughout to ensure none of the mods posed a risk and it hugely improved the accuracy and didn't cost me anything.

I did buy a few items to improve the cycling with subs and got them from Brownells.com. Much cheaper than midway and posted direct from America.

well saying as I have 2 std stocks for it it looks like I,ll give floating the barrel and removing the barrel band a go just been video watching on youtube and as i,m pretty handy with woodwork it don't look hard at all .
I,ll keep you all informed

I removed the barrel band, free floated the barrel, polished the sear and trigger release and lightened the trigger pull. All done myself after plenty of youtube research and tested for safety throughout to ensure none of the mods posed a risk and it hugely improved the accuracy and didn't cost me anything.

This is on the money. 30 minutes work and it will feel like a different rifle.

Last edited:
have a look at rude fat dog's website, you can do a lot with them. Replace the existing trigger unit with a kid trigger single or double stage, replace the barrel for a whistle pig barrel or green mountain barrel, replace the stock with a number of different makes, plastic wood, or you can by a rimfire magic's version of a 10/22. if you don't want to buy a new trigger unit you can buy a power custom trigger kit competition hammer, competition firing pin the list is endless...

Basically you could replace the entire 10/22 with aftermarket replacements if it were'nt for our darn restrictive laws!

Trigger job is easy, cheap and makes a big difference. Last time I bought a Power Custom Sear kit it was £35. However with patience you will exceed even this items improvement doing it yourself.

ruger custom 1.JPGruger sr22.1.JPG

Both 10/22 the first one is the last one i modded the only thing original was the reciver and bolt. The second is a standard with a trigger job an ar style stock..... I have some stocks for sale by the way :D

I think I will look for a 10/22 to fill my .22lr slot when if my FAC comes back with it on.

They seem very versatile and very good prices!

Best place to buy one from?

I think I will look for a 10/22 to fill my .22lr slot when if my FAC comes back with it on.

They seem very versatile and very good prices!

Best place to buy one from?
I've got one that I might get rid of.. mind you they are common as _ so you can find lots of cheap un's to swap bits about with. Must admit mine used to be pretty accurate and then went off the boil?

I've got one that I might get rid of.. mind you they are common as _ so you can find lots of cheap un's to swap bits about with. Must admit mine used to be pretty accurate and then went off the boil?

Hmm how far off the boil did it go?

And ye I think I'm more tempted by these due to the playing about you can do with them (I'm an engineer by trade)

After you follow the recipe of nun_hunter, stop there and test a variety of ammunition.

Some rifles shoot one kind very well, and another rifle will shoot well with what the first rifle rejects.
It is not just a matter of grade and price, either. Sometimes a chamber is looser on one rifle, and shoots Remington well. Another has a tight chamber and short throat, and shoots the cheapest Federal blue box like it was Eley Tenex. It is worth an hour of experimentation... and lots of cheap fun.

Lads If any of you want a new 10/22 give me a try, I am an official Ruger dealer :D Or any other Rugers for that matter!

Back