.270 100gr

User00004

Went to get some expanding ammo heads today to load up for the .270, I was looking for 130gr as these seem to be the most popular with this calibre/cartridge.

I was surprised to see on the shelf 100gr for a .270, has anyone used these? I can only imagine they get blown out the barrel at a very fast velocity indeed and must be flat to about 350m????

I have no intention of loading these, was just curious if people have and what sort of ballistics they provide.

TJ

Hi, hope all well up the road? Have just changes from some v fast 130gr SST and interbonds which were causing big damage on Roes to Accubonds (140 gr). They will hopefully do much less damage but seem to be v accurate, nice 1 inch group at 100m.

Just joined a FC syndicate 1 hr south of Stirling, any joy getting hold of some ground?

AJC

I started stalking with a .270 and the bullet I used then was the Speer 100Gr SP - very fast and did damage the Roe a bit more than the heavier 130 Gr bullets but then a square hit on the shoulder with any calibre is likely to write it off. I even used the Sierra 90 Gr HP for a couple of years - marvellous on foxes and always exited on Roe too but a bit too hard on the carcass and so changed eventually to the more usual 130 Gr in Sierra or Nosler. If you haven't tried the lighter bullets give them a go, they produce less recoil and fly a little flatter but I would not recommend them for larger species.

Regards,

KRS

MacLeods in Tain is selling Norma 110gr Hornady VMax, so clearly there is a market for these lighter heads at present.

If its anything like the 110gn in .308 then the initial velocity is high but due to the poor SD of the bullet it bleeds of pretty quick, therefore negating any advantage over range.

Hi TJ, I use 110g V-Max out of my .270 for foxes, and they are good out of my rifle, 3 shots @ 100 yards under 0.5", and is devastating on foxes, dont know how Heart/lung shots would be on Roe's or Reds, because i have never tried them on heart/lung shots, head shots are devastating also, Wullie. ;)

A long time ago, I used to load 100grn V-Max in the .270 win for head shooting park red deer, they were very accurate and proved ideal for this purpose but, on the few occaisions that I used them for chest shooting wild deer, I found the ammount of damage to be quite significant. 130grn for everything is the way to go with the .270 in my opinion. JC

According to Hornady the V-Max is a 'Varmit' bullet that is likley to break up on impact rather than mushroom. How may people use the V-MAX for shooting large game?

Gents....

I have been using the lighter .270 bullets on all species of deer for years....I currently use the sierra 110 softpoints in my home loads which are loaded for accurracy as opposed to maximum velocity.
The Norma factory loads in 110 V-max are my round of choice if i choose not to homeload.......these are supremely accurate out of my Tikka (3 shot 8.5mm group has been achieved.) and with decent bullet placement have dropped all the species i have shot with this load...Red stags, Roe and fallow (would use them on sika too when i next get the opportunity and i'm using this round!). I have a box of V-max heads in reserve too for homeloading in case i can't lay my hands on the factories!
I too have used the 90 grain and the 100 grain hollow point on roe...with great results and great accuracy.....shoulder damage was substantial...but irrelevant as the main priority is to kill the deer swiftly and preferably without it running...which the lighter bullets seemed to achieve on a 95% basis (5% f**k ups on my part with bad shot placement...it happens!). Remington still do a 100grain softpoint factory load, Which a stalking colleague has been using for years...again on ALL species....and has had simlar results to myself.....grat on foxes too!!!
For the record.....My rifle also shoots extremely well with 130 grain Federal classic factories...........these bullets were used on red and roe........similar damage to the carcass as the lighter bullets and more often than not involving a search for the deer (admittedly not more than a 150 yard radius...but a search all the same). I would happily use this round exclusively if i was permanentely shooting reds, but as i'm predominantely a roe stalker...i'll stay light!.

At the end of the day.... i feel it's more important to find a round that shoots with the most accuracy out of your rifle...as this will instill maximum confidence in your shooting which will make for more efficiency when it comes to that humane and swift killing shot. The .270 is capable of efficiently killing all species of Deer in Britain, allbeit sometimes with a bit more ferocity than some smaller calibres, but as a Deer manager/Stalker our main concern should be for the welfare of our deer and not wether the robdog game dealer is gonna dock you a percentage for his interpretation of what constitutes as 'excessive' damage.
Find a round that works....and stick to it!

regards

Steve

As JC states, he found in his particular application, the bullet proved to be good for the job in hand at probably very much closer range than normally experienced on the hill, I myself find that another particular offering from Messers Hornady & co, does a very fine job of extinguishing life as well as being a very "accurate" round.............myself I have no use for the V-max, does'nt mean someone else won't or can't use them.;)

As in the earlier replies, I would consider V-max in any calibre to be restricted to 100yds & under for game, & to shooters who are used to this application, Just my two pennies worth

I have shot roe with Speer 100Gr hollowpoints and the damage was not too bad, in fact the bullet never exited out the other side on one.

I have also used 110Gr Vmax out my 270 WSM on foxes and it does serious damage to them, not sure if I would use them on roe due to the hole it would make.

Now pretty much use 130 gr accubond with it most of the time, although I did notice Nosler are now doing a 110Gr accubond bullet too, so I guess that would hold together better and be a bit flatter ?

I have a 'hot' 90gn HP load I use for foxing and for plinking with my .270 - great for killing 250 yard pineapples (59p at Aldi :cool:) but they'd be very messy on deer :eek:. I've also used very accurate 100gn SP and 110gn BT loads but, again, I think they're too fast and frangible for deer unless you're a 100% head shot stalker (I'm not).

130gn is the optimum weight in .270 but is still very fast at sub-150 yard ranges, so can create meat damage. I have experimented with several slower loads using 130s - Sierra ProHunters, Hornady Accubonds and Hornady Interlocks but I'm now trying a really slow (just deer legal at muzzle) 140gn Speer SP load for 100yd woodland Roe and Muntjac to minimise meat damage. It'll have a trajectory like a bowling ball past 200 yards but it's tailored for a specific close range purpose, so that's fine.

The joy of reloading is finding loads that are exactly right for each kind of hunting - if you've got the kit, why compromise?

Adam.

I have used 110g v-max a couple of times on Roe and yes they do put them down but at the meat damage was massive, mainly blown blood through the muscle.
They are very accurate in my .270 mannlicher and are now reserved purley for the foxes on which they are devastating.

CD

I have a 'hot' 90gn HP load I use for foxing and for plinking with my .270 - great for killing 250 yard pineapples (59p at Aldi :cool:) but they'd be very messy on deer :eek:. I've also used very accurate 100gn SP and 110gn BT loads but, again, I think they're too fast and frangible for deer unless you're a 100% head shot stalker (I'm not).

Adam.

:lol:

Plink with a man's calibre next time!

Oh, I forgot, you already have....:cool:

Usually I do, but when I invite effete southern softies to kill fruit on a glacial deposit, I feel obliged to stick to the kind of calibres I usually only recommend for elderly maiden aunts and invalids - this is why we were using the slow and soft 'poached chicken and milky drinks' calibre of .30-06 instead of the the hairy chested 'grrrrrr!' calibre of .270 Testosterone...

i loaded the 100grs for hinds ,they work well for necking .now use the 110 v max .

if you are not culling taking head or neck shots there is better rounds available for the 270.

Back