Biggest doe i have ever shot

roedeerred

Out this morning on one of the farms where I try to keep deer numbers to levels that the farmers ask on this small farm owner likes to see no more than 3 or 4 so I cull accordingly.
The farm had maze on about a third if it this year so as expected there were 7 in a group this morning I waited for one to be in a safe position at 80yds it stood in a hollow broadside so shot was on when I went to it, it looked a good beast then I got quite a shock on trying to pick it up and drag it to the side of the field it weighed in at 45lbs in the larder the buck of the group looked even bigger and had about 2inchs of velvet showing. most I have shot in this area are around 35 to 38 lbs.

A heavy beast, especially for a doe.
I saw a buck on the hook at the end of the season weighing just over 40lb, he was a big boy.

Had quite a few does weighing around the 50 lb mark . Heaviest buck was 62 lb gralloched.....

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that buck, must have been a beauty.
On a slightly different note, the roe I've shot recently have all been in lovely condition still, considering we're almost into December.

Cadex I skinned a doe for myself on Tuesday it was in A1 condition covered in fat under the skin but it weighed in at 38lbs about what I expect from this area.

Had quite a few does weighing around the 50 lb mark . Heaviest buck was 62 lb gralloched.....

Does are reasonably common in my area to come in at around 40 - 45lb.

I have had a few bucks around the 60lb mark. This being one of them. Possibly coincidentally it measured CIC Bronze.

Does are reasonably common in my area to come in at around 40 - 45lb.

I have had a few bucks around the 60lb mark. This being one of them. Possibly coincidentally it measured CIC Bronze.

Nice buck :thumb:

Interesting about the head though, because if you think about red hummels it's the deer with no antlers which end up big in body. If there was such a thing as a roe hummel (is there??) I wonder what sort of body weight it would achieve!

My biggest doe is 40 lbs. Pretty unusual for roe to go over 40 lbs round here.

Alex

Ive had a couple of does this season that are as heavy as any ive had before , one was over 40lbs , ive just posted a pic of it in the writeups and articles section:D

As a sheep farmer I can understand high body weights this year. With a few notable exceptions, namely Summerset, this has been a great year for domestic livestock, The winter was mild, spring arrived earlier than it has done in years, grass growth commenced up to 6 weeks earlier in some regions than usual, summer provided a great growth potential and autumn has not yet turned to winter even in Aberdeenshire where I live. Grass and vegetation was growing strongly for many more weeks this autumn. Calves and lambs have remained at grass without supplementary feeding and deer must have enjoyed the same benefits. This may provide knock on effects next year with increased survival of young with higher body weights and a shortened period of winter hardships. Next spring will be interesting, and bucks may show obvious gains.

Longlowdog makes a good point regarding the feed/browse available to the deer this year - grass is still growing on the low ground but going back on the hill. Have seen a lot of Reds comimg down to the low ground as light is going and drifting back up the hill at first light but the ones we have managed to grass are all still in good condition. As are the Roe.

I usually weigh with all guts out, head and legs off.
I suppose this is one of the reasons there is such a large variation with weights, as different stalkers term larder weight as different things.

Cadex I agree he would only hang like that till cooled then everything removed the weight would be game dealer weight.

It was larder wt I gave as you say game dealers wt two from Monday were normal 35 pounds and just a few ounces shy of 40
yea I noticed that head!!

Back