OK, You got a few quid,

finnbear270

What would you buy?,

Me, It wouldn't have to be a big lotto thingy,Just the bit off the end of,!:D, A nice little valley type thing with a falli'n down two up two down, needs a bit o' love & attention, about seven klicks from the nearest earhole, some steel plates up & and, with a reasonable quad to get about......... a few outdoor dog pens etc;..the odd Goat?..... what's your dream?:eek:

lots of driven wild boar hunts, and a rpa rangemaster 50 for baboons. It would be unfair not to get something for the wife and DD's would look good on her...

Having spent some years in the past living on a small offshore island, the dream would be to have my own. I miss the lifestyle terribly, and would go back to it like a shot if the right opportunity and the right circumstances came together at the right time. Trouble with living on someone else's island is the politics, so it would have to be my own. Failing that, I think I'll buy a big chunk of wilderness in Eastern Europe.

Small but comfortable house somewhere out of the way. Pickup on the drive, chickens and veg in the garden, few dogs, maybe with enough land to shoot game and venison for the table (and for fun, obviously). Nothing too fancy!

Well I am about to do mine, place in NZ with a bit of land and a friendly farmer near bye.

Having spent some years in the past living on a small offshore island, the dream would be to have my own. I miss the lifestyle terribly, and would go back to it like a shot if the right opportunity and the right circumstances came together at the right time. Trouble with living on someone else's island is the politics, so it would have to be my own. Failing that, I think I'll buy a big chunk of wilderness in Eastern Europe.

Like this Savills | Isle Of Tanera Mor, Achiltibuie, Ullapool, Ross-Shire, IV26 2YN | Property for sale :thumb:

A few hundred acres, nice farmhouse/B&B sensible range of outbuilding, pond or 2, small stream, suitable selection of vehicles, variety of livestock, no idiots within earshot.....Ahhh those were the days....then the big 'D'!....now it's a 2up2down & every neighbour seems to be a, see u next tuesday!

i'd be happy with that one as well me, oh i would add a nice etr 1000 yrd and wild brown'y river snaking past just under my bridge so that i could shut off the rat race when needed,:norty:

What would you buy?,

Me, It wouldn't have to be a big lotto thingy,Just the bit off the end of,!:D, A nice little valley type thing with a falli'n down two up two down, needs a bit o' love & attention, about seven klicks from the nearest earhole, some steel plates up & and, with a reasonable quad to get about......... a few outdoor dog pens etc;..the odd Goat?..... what's your dream?:eek:

I'd want something not so subsantial, maybe about 600/700 acre? Middle of no where so no can pester me, and just go about my daily business without being spyed on by nosey pests.

It would have to have a healthy deer population of roe at least, and possibly with an existing shoot on it.

The house:

Nothing to big, a nice 4 bedroom house would do me very nicely. But outdoor buildings would be a must for me, then build myself some smart outdoor kennels. Nice lawns and a garden is a must.

I am sure I could think of a lot more too, depending of course how big the win was. I certainly wouldn't go chasing 500brace+ days though, and would make sure my close family and friends were sorted with a few quid too. However I would live a very nice life though, I would certainly spend a lot of time in europe on driven game though, it's on my bucket list to do, and would do a lot of plains game in Africa, big game doesn't appeal to me, I would much rather watch an elle or lion than shoot them though regardless of how big the win was. Also I'd probably buy somewhere over in America too.

Not to much to want for ;), in all seriousness I'd be happy with £100,000. No where enough for me to retire on, but it certainly would give me a good start.

To be honest, a million would hardly be enough to retire on. If you spent nothing but invested it all, let's say you'd get 3% interest a year. That works out at £30,000. Which is really only a fair salary these days. So to be comfortable, you'd need to keep your job (that may also be for around £30,00 a year). I suppose you could get more than 3% interest with a bit of work, but really it wouldn't be enough to buy a small estate, bung the family members a few grand and live off the interest on the rest. For that, I think you'd be looking for ten million plus.

The other consideration with getting a sporting estate is that it would take a lot of work to maintain it as a going concern. A pheasant shoot and a bit of stalking isn't going to cover the costs of running it, what with council tax, a keeper or two, a ghillie, their houses, vehicles, forestry worker, general maintenance and so on. And that's with you doing your own cooking and washing!

So, really, I think I'd need upwards of £20,000,000. Let's say you spent £10m on an estate, a few luxuries and indulgences and chucking the family a bit. Leaving you with the interest on £10m. That'd be (at 3%) three hundred thousand a year. You'd have half a chance with that of being comfortable.

Back