moderators

mickjgardner

just wondered if anyone knew why moderators are so expensive.i know that they have to take a lot of pressure but looking at the construction they cant be that expensive to produce.

How long would it take you to make one? How much would you charge for a day of your time?

I do not think they are that expensive. Of course you can make your own out of washers and tubing etc., but for precision made stainless steel strippable moderators £200 can't be a large amount of money surely?

ft

costs as with anything come down with production runs, if I were to make my own with no time costing to myself, I would hazard a guess at around £40.00, bearing in mind that the development work has already been done by lots of other peeps! The real cost reflected on the shelf if you like is a lot of peoples effort & thoughts have gone in to them & charges will reflect this.:cool:

once a production line is up and running the costs get lower the more they make,if you look at it you can buy a new rifle for the price of 2 moderators,doesnt seem right to me

This something I know a little about, I have made my own moddies in the past, your manufacturing cost are about right for a T8, a bit more for a better constructed moderator . If it is imported it will get hit for 20% import duty (from a none-EU country). The real mark up is being made by the dealers, they are making £70 min each times it changes hands, so £40 for manufacture £70 for the distributor and £70 for the guy signing it on to your ticket £25 for proofing. Hence your £200 plus moderator.

If moderators were to come “off ticket” and I can’t see any good reason for them to be on your FAC, then the manufactures would be able to supply direct by mail order and the price could come down to £100/130 each,:D if everybody was playing fair.:rolleyes:

ATB

Tahr

This something I know a little about, I have made my own moddies in the past, your manufacturing cost are about right for a T8, a bit more for a better constructed moderator . If it is imported it will get hit for 20% import duty (from a none-EU country). The real mark up is being made by the dealers, they are making £70 min each times it changes hands, so £40 for manufacture £70 for the distributor and £70 for the guy signing it on to your ticket £25 for proofing. Hence your £200 plus moderator.

If moderators were to come “off ticket” and I can’t see any good reason for them to be on your FAC, then the manufactures would be able to supply direct by mail order and the price could come down to £100/130 each,:D if everybody was playing fair.:rolleyes:

ATB

Tahr
Good post! I totally agree!;)

I've also made my own in the past. No idea why a metal tube should be considered as a firearm - do scaffolders have FACs? If and when Griff gets elected perhaps getting them off ticket is something he can interest BASC in lobbying for? That and better stalking access to FC land? :)

OOOOHH! can't you just hear those knees knocking at the very thought of those dangerous bits of pipe being flogged willy nilly to all comers!:D

Have a look at Brithunter's post in reply to a chap with a.243 Wildcat mod in the classifieds .......................£55.00 to change to a larger calibre, so it looks like the greatest part of the jobby is £55.00 for a baffle unit!

it is ridiculous that they have to be licenced epecially as they havent even got a serial number.you can buy one fro an air rifle without a ticket and put it on a rimfire,so it is only a firearm if on one! now that probaly 90% of people with sporting rifles have one i think it is about time they dropped the licensing.it would save a lot of time,enrgy and paperwork for everyone

Have a look at Brithunter's post in reply to a chap with a.243 Wildcat mod in the classifieds .......................£55.00 to change to a larger calibre, so it looks like the greatest part of the jobby is £55.00 for a baffle unit!

As most are aware I brought a Predator 8 Wildcat Mod a little while ago for the 25-06 but now it seems that it needs to be able to go a .270 as well so i checked on the prices:-

Calibre Adaptors

Predator 4
£55

Predator 8
£55

Predator 12
£85

Taken straight of the makers web site ;).

My moderator is for a .243 actually due a bit of a mix up in the shop finding the right thread adaptor. it was not until after I had shot it did we discover it's a .243 one :oops: :doh:. However I have used it on the 6.5mm rifle with no problems but that's the max it can take as a .277" bullet will not go through it.

The cost of moderators is on a whole quite high, however, what is an acceptable price to pay for a very good moderator?
Well ive looked at it for a long time and wish I had done what im now doing a fair few years ago. When I looked at making my own mods for retail sale I had to take a lot into consideration, the first thing being retail price. I then had to look at what the trade mark up would be because if they dont make a (moderate) profit they wont buy it and will try and sell the punter something else. The key thing for me, which has worked is the end user price, the man in the street, the one who keeps me making moderators and in business. All this said the machinery outlay is not cheap and it will take years to claw some cash back but thankfully the balance is right and if I keep the prices keen I will have more happy customers.:)

Yes you can do that but using a .30 cal moderator on a .222 it's not going to work as well is it and I mean be as quiet as one of the proper calibre.

If you noticed a DB or 2 difference I would be very very surprised, one thing you wont silence is the super sonic crack of the bullet as im sure people are aware of. Ive done a fair bit of testing with moderators on all sorts of calibres and one thing I have learnt is the standard mark 1 ear wont notice the difference.

Mark one ear was listening for that very reason last night!, my bud's 7mm WSM through a Jet z............ pretty damn quiet, I would say it was on a par with a .243 Barking at it's best, my 7's a bit of a noisy bugger at the moment while I'm sorting out the loads!

Back