Not the best reading!

finnbear270

Just having a flick through the basc mag, looking at firing lines "letters " page, it seems that we are getting some more new laws from plod............... such as phoneing in to let them know you will be shooting, where , when etc.............although this is something that I myself will do on specific problem areas, there is no legal requirement to do so.:rolleyes:

Just having a flick through the basc mag, looking at firing lines "letters " page, it seems that we are getting some more new laws from plod............... such as phoneing in to let them know you will be shooting, where , when etc.............although this is something that I myself will do on specific problem areas, there is no legal requirement to do so.:rolleyes:

Real laws or more of their makey-up ones? I don't get the mag so can you say if BASC have commented?

Just the usual do as I say, not as I do laws!:D.........as it's in the basc mag with no footnote, it's possible that they are leaning that way ?...........David BASC.What say you sir?:lol:

I can't speak for David @ BASC but seem to recall that he posted some time back opposing the need to inform police of your intention to be shooting on ground.

My position on the matter is that we need less restriction and not more but that I find keeping the police informed works well. Here in Northern Ireland there is a condition on the FAC which says that police must be informed by phone before you go shooting. I always do this and to date can see no down side to it, they appear to understand that I am recording my intentions for their information and that they have no say on whether I can or can't go and in one area where I stalk we have a very good working relationship with the local police with an aim to reduce poaching etc.

In principle I am opposed to any restrictions upon us, especially ones with no foundation in law, but in practise it doesn't cause me any problems at all and so I can see no reason to strongly oppose it. With this in mind I view informing the police as a matter of good practise, being a good neighbour if you like, to make both our lives easier and to date all my contact with the police in relation to my shooting has been positive and constructive.

Maybe you have a different breed of plod over there, over here once something is initiated , it's taken for granted, no exceptions, wether it is correct in law or otherwise, I congratulate you on your commonsense working relationship. Steve.

I think the key thing is that in N Ireland anything to do with firearms has been approached in a different manner from the rest of the UK - for obvious reasons given the recent history? If it's already conditioned on the FAC then you have little option to comply or risk the consequences:

"Here in Northern Ireland there is a condition on the FAC which says that police must be informed by phone before you go shooting".

If it's allowed to be introduced on the mainland UK without question then I agree, it is likely to become the accepted norm by 'creep' unless challenged from the off.

Here in Northern Ireland there is a condition on the FAC which says that police must be informed by phone before you go shooting.

I suspect it is because over the years in NI a number of legitimate shooters have ended up very dead as a result of bumping in to military patrols.

It'll happen over here one day and we will then have a plethora of new rules for our protection.

That is not entirely accurate.

There has never been, and there is not now any general requirement to pre-inform the peelers of your intention to shoot in NI.

However, there used to be a specific requirement for FAC holders with a deer legal calibre to give 24 hours notice of an intended "deer cull" to the local peelers. This was precisely for the reason stated above, you don't want to bump into a covert military patrol while seriously tooled up, and the local cops could give the nod to whoever may be operating in an area to look out for you. Friend of mine has a fantastic story, which would frighten the **** out of you, about creeping across a field on night about 1992, and shooting a fox at about 120 yards with a 22wmr. He stood up feeling pleased with himself, a voice from the "hedge" said "good shot there mate", a change of shorts was nearly required.

Anyway, to my knowledge, certainly on my FAC and that of friends of mine, the 24 hour notice requirement is now long gone. In fact, PSNI have opened up lot over the past few years - for entirely cyncial reasons. Basically, my FAC states you can shoot wherever you think is safe, on your own head be-it.

Sounds as if caorach needs to get his FAC updated and the condition removed then!

Good yarn BTW.

I always phone the Firearms control desk and tell them where I am shooting , how many of us , the approximate times and what vehicle I am in .Normally have a laugh and joke with the officer on duty. I don't see this as an infringement of my rights .
I would rather tell them where I am than have an armed response unit turn out because someone has called 999 saying they have seen a "man with a gun" or " heard shots fired".
A few years ago a friend was shooting in woods which are private and had permission to be there ( camo outfiit including a balaclava ) and was spotted by someone walking a dog who had no right to be there who called 999 , result 2 armed response units & several other police cars . After 15 mins of checks he was free to go but why risk the hassle .

Would it not be better if they simply didn't send two armed response units and several other police cars out in response to reports of people shooting in the countryside?

In any case, does telling them you're going out shooting actually prevent them from responding in this way to from the misguided, if well-intentioned, public?

Would it not be better if they simply didn't send two armed response units and several other police cars out in response to reports of people shooting in the countryside?

In any case, does telling them you're going out shooting actually prevent them from responding in this way to from the misguided, if well-intentioned, public?

The way I see it is that if they know you are there & I always leave them my mobile number they can either accept the "reported shooting" is me or if they are in doubt they can give me a call .

Now before anyone says it could be someone else shooting close by it gives the police the option of checking and they are less likely to over react .

My discussions with ARP's always results in them saying they respond to complaints / reports wether you are logged with the control room or not, it's too much of a risk for them to possibly miss something they should'nt.

Back in the 1980's while dogging in on a pheasant shoot the dogs rushed into a bush and started barking which is not unusual for my when I looked into the bush there was a man in full camo with an SA80 which was a bit of a suprise. His comment was "bugger of we are on exercise and there is a squad looking for me" so I whistled the dogs and left. BUT I PHONED THE POLICE.NOT NOT NOT all it takes is a bit of COMMON SENSE and a bit of knowledge which the general public seem to lack.

Walking along a B road between 2 blocks of forrest in Dumfries with my 30.06 over my shoulder when around the corner comes the local plod ,he winds down the window and asks how the stalking is going we exchange stories for 30 mins and just as he is driving away he says "you realy should take the bolt out of that rifle when you are walking down the road" and drove away. COMMON SENSE him not me

There has never been, and there is not now any general requirement to pre-inform the peelers of your intention to shoot in NI.

Just noticed this thread and didn't respond because I hadn't seen your reply Brian but I'm pretty certain that my FAC states that I have to inform police 24 hours before going shooting, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it as I wouldn't never have known to do it. I rarely manage to give 24 hours notice, sometimes it is only an hour or so, but they don't seem to have a problem with this and never question it. The latest incarnation of my certificate was printed about 14 months ago so unless it has gone since then it is still going on at least some certificates. As you say however, where I choose to shoot is my problem :)

Just noticed this thread and didn't respond because I hadn't seen your reply Brian but I'm pretty certain that my FAC states that I have to inform police 24 hours before going shooting, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it as I wouldn't never have known to do it. I rarely manage to give 24 hours notice, sometimes it is only an hour or so, but they don't seem to have a problem with this and never question it. The latest incarnation of my certificate was printed about 14 months ago so unless it has gone since then it is still going on at least some certificates. As you say however, where I choose to shoot is my problem :)

Philip, your FAC might well say that, mine used to, but only specifically relating to the deer rifle. I had a 222 also at that time and there was no such restriction relating to that rifle. In any case, my FAC no longer has the "24 hr notice" thing, it disappeared by 5 or 6 years ago.

It was Leicestershire Police (one of the better areas) that originally mooted the tell before you go policy. As I understand it, the policy was opposed by the BASC Firearms Team, who discussed the matter with Leicestershire. I am unsure as to whether the mooted policy has ever been implemented, to my knowledge no, but no doubt someone on this fine forum with first hand experience in Leicstershire can advise.

David.

Last edited:
Back