Ridiculously cheap?

yeah, but you don't know what the bidding ended on ;)

I just bought an FN 7x57 listed at £300 and paid £650, still happy with it, but the guide prices are set to attract attention I think

Lots of any interest are always priced low, specificaly to get interested parties bidding.
By putting a low estimated price they attract more bidders.
If they put the price they are expecting you would only get one or two bidders.

To be honest the price at auction has very little reflection on the new shop price, and the luxus versions of blazers Sauers, even Sakos never hold their value: there seems a default price of £1,000 to £1,500 for top end rifles unless it is a traditional Rigby etc. if it is in the bid now auction it has failed to sell in the main Auction and the seller probably wants rid. You might get lucky and your bid might be accepted and you might get a bargain. Most of these rifles are bought as almost fashion accessorys by somebody who is getting into hunting - buys all the kit etc and then finds another interest. Or has gone bust - either way it's all being sold.

check out the Total Price Calculator below the lot , looks like 25% buyers premium plus vat !!
A £1500 bid will cost you £1950

I would guess that because it is the older R93 rather than the latest R8 that it represents such good value for money.
atb Tim

If it goes for the top of it's estimate plus commision and VAT it will work out not much less than a discounted new one !!
I reckon that's what the seller is aiming for but will be disappointed when he has to pay sellers commision :cry:

Lots of any interest are always priced low, specificaly to get interested parties bidding.
By putting a low estimated price they attract more bidders.
If they put the price they are expecting you would only get one or two bidders.

Correct

Back