Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know which model Steyr Mannlicher this is?

Anyone know which model Steyr Mannlicher this is?

L series I think.

I am not a fan. Had one in .308 for about 5 months. Something about the stock design and balance meant it really severely belted me with the recoil - I actually came away with very clear bruising on my shoulder after 15 rounds. Bloody awful magazine as well.

Took me a good 3 months to cure myself of the flinch I developed using it.

Looks like a professional. Think it's M series.
    Last edited by ubique; 25-11-2014 at 16:12.

I have one like it but with double set triggers.

That is a Steyr M Professional, which mostly came in .30-06 and 7x64mm, later in .270 Winchester.
    The last version, just before being supplanted by the SBS 96, came with or without iron sights.

The first version, in the early 1970s, had a brown stock. The later versions came in black and green. Green is less common. It was offered with single trigger or with double set triggers.

The stock design is an exact copy of the wood stock of the 1970s for the Steyr M Lux made for the American and English market. There was another wood stock in all grades with the Bavarian style buttstock.

The stock is made of Cycolac, a very stable and rigid plastic used for things like bricklayers and carpenter's levels. It is very strong, being a form of ABS, which is used for automobile bumpers. It can be finished very smoothly, or in the most rigid form, has surface marks from how it flowed in the mold and cured. You can see those in the frame underneath a car bumper. This stock is derived from the SSG-69, and was one of the first molded plastic rifle stocks.

It was offered with factory turn off QD mounts.
    The screw spacing is standard, but it takes a different metric screw, so order Leupold or Warne bases for the rifle in order to get the right screws with them. Other metric and English screws are close, so there is the danger of forcing one in and stripping the receiver, but it is so hard that you are more likely to jam or break off the screw.

I love mine. I wanted one in .30-06 ever since I sold my SSG-69.

------ more ----------------
    The recoil pad is pretty stiff, just as the SBS is, but it is made by Pachmayr and you can swap out for several softer ones. Limbsaver also offers one.

It is a true hunting rifle made for Africa, and has more pitch than many stocks today which are set up just for methodical shooting with a scope. It is made to mount quickly, for iron sights or scope.

It takes the plastic rotary magazine. The Lux grades took a steel double stack magazine, because engraving was offered in the higher grades. Magazines are still available. I like them, because every round has the same pressure on it, so they feed very smoothly.

The sights are Recknaler, very sharp, but rugged, for real hunting in brush. The front sight adjusts for elevation.
    Last edited by Southern; 25-11-2014 at 19:49.

I'd say its a series M - the cheaper action with plastic furniture & the art deco plakky stock. I shot one to test it two years ago & found the stock seemed to transmit quite a lot of shock - Much more than my 30-06 Stutzen Luxus.
    Looking closely at photo 2 there are clear signs of rust on the scope & possibly on the steelwork as if it's been left in a damp environment (it is mucky too) not a good sign. - It would need to be thoroughly cleaned, examined & test fired to see if it shoots straight before I'd lay out any cash & then it would have to be cheap because the action is not the best for rebarrelling.

Last edited by Yorric; 25-11-2014 at 17:06.

Southern is absolutely correct- it's a Model M Professional.
    The estate where I used to stalk hinds in the late 80s and early 90s had one in .270 as an estate rifle. The recoil from it was nothing short of spiteful.

Very good barrels, however.

Mod M. Professional. The 'M' has nothing to do with the style or components but the action length (and subsequently the magazine size). There was a Mark 1, 2 and 3 though. This one looks like one of the earliest ones. As has already been said, very poor condition. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. The other thing to look for in these rifles are cracks in the polymer trigger guard housing around the action screws and on the magazine itself.

I think some of the comments are a bit harsh. I've had 4 SSGs and still have a Mod. M III Professional in 6.5x55 so I have a fair bit of first hand experience with them. You can get a very nice alternative stock and AI trigger guard/Mag assembly for them now but I have not felt any need to. You can also get replacement mags and trigger guard which has metal inserts to strengthen the previous weak area.

I hate the pro hunter and wish Steyr had stuck with modernising the SSG 'sporter'.

I had one of these in .270 long before moderators were around and never had any issues with recoil, it was a dream to shoot and very accurate.

It is a Professional. i bought one of these for my first rifle in 6.5 x55. Got ripped off by York guns, completely shot out. nice action though.