The way it used to be when you bought bullets.

Muir

Back in the day.
I remember loading old bullets that came from these kind of boxes when I was young.~Muir
OLdRemBullets_zpsd7b6b6fe.jpg

The writing says "218 Bee, 46 Mush"

I used to buy mine by the 100 or 500 in polythene bags but only Remington and Winchester were available around that time.
They didn't have the selection of points either, they were all PP = power point, in todays terminology = soft point.
The only hollow points that I can recall were 9mm pistol but I can't remember who made them.

That’s nothing!

When I were a lad we had neither plastic nor cardboard and bullets were cast from lead filched from school roof. Couldn’t afford gas so had to slip lead pot into heating boiler when Old Coke the Caretaker wasn’t replenishing it. School desk still bares scars from spillages when illicitly pouring into hand-made mould during Latin.

K

i am with you on that one 45 acp hard baller lol, and to get warm father would beat us into a frenzy ,happen them's were the day's we'd look forward to cold broth and chickin fat for tea HHhhmmmm yummy !! and if we were real lucky dad would beat us just before bed time to get us warm again .:eek:

That’s nothing!

When I were a lad we had neither plastic nor cardboard and bullets were cast from lead filched from school roof. Couldn’t afford gas so had to slip lead pot into heating boiler when Old Coke the Caretaker wasn’t replenishing it. School desk still bares scars from spillages when illicitly pouring into hand-made mould during Latin.

K

Nice. Is that a 44 1/2 Stevens? Or a Model 44? I had a bunch the "Air Force" 22 Hornet ammo at one time; much the same as what you have there. I don't remember what happened to it. The Sisk bullets brought back memories. I once has some 35 grain .224" bullets that I would shoot from a #7 Rollingblock conversion to Hornet. They were fantastic. When the 35 grain V-Max came out it was the memories of the Sisk that made me try them.~Muir

I really like those long unertl scopes with external adjustments. One day would love a martini actioned sporter with one in .222

I really like those long unertl scopes with external adjustments. One day would love a martini actioned sporter with one in .222

I tyhik that scope is a Lyman but i agree: The long tube scopes with the external adjustments are really excellent. I have a 12X, 1" tube Unertl target scope with, IIRC, external adjustments less than 1/8 MOA., IIRC, and a parallax adjustment. One of the members on this site borrowed it 10 years ago to mount on a Martini Sporter he was building! I'm hoping I get it back some year.....:rolleyes: :)lol:)~Muir

I used to ride into town with my father once in a while on a Saturday, and go to an old sporting goods store with men hanging about, talking outdoors, with dusty mounts of cape buffalo and mountain sheep on the high walls, where I would purchase .303 ammunition for my Jungle Carbine from a wooden crate full of loose rounds, for 5 cents apiece. That's the sort of stuff which can make a boy in to an addict.

I would go to a store that had barrels full of like-new 1884 11mm Mauser and Kropatchek rifles. Surplus ammo in brown paper.... Surplus 4831 and 4350 (iirc) from barrels by the pound in brown paper bags. The smell of Woolrich hunting garb and Hoppes #9.
Paradise. ~Muir

Yes, I ordered my second Enfield from the back of "Boy's Life", the Boy Scout magazine, for $12.95 plus $2.00 shipping. The rural mail carrier leaned the box up against a tree inside the hedge, on the brick walkway to our house, where I could find it on the way home.

Even as late as 1993, I bought an SKS and an unissued FR-8 for $79.00 at Rose's Dime Store. I think the sight of those SKS's standing up in a cardboard drum triggered some childhood memory of the same marketing, and a sudden craving.

The general store in town, built in 1775, sold individual shotgun shells, for boys and others who could not afford $1.50 for a whole box.

Last edited:
Back