Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22wmr/.17hmr moderate or not?

.22wmr/.17hmr moderate or not?

Just curious if you guys who shoot .22WMR or .17HMR bother with moderators?

I'm going to have my desmond shortened and re-threaded to about 16" (from 21") and have a SAK mod currently but have been pondering whether to even bother with a mod. Or maybe look around for an over the barrel/reflex style rimfire mod to keep it as short as possible. My mate shoots .17hmr and is thinking along the same lines as they are hardly silent even with a mod on and both rifles are long with mods currently!!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Why would you not? Think of your hearing as well as ease of handling - plus others when you're blasting away in the dead of night...!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I can't think of a good reason not to. A good moderator takes a worthwhile amount of noise away. I have been using a Swift Nightingale (reflex) mod on my .17hmr for the past few years and after thousands or rounds in all weathers it still looks like new.

I shoot. 22wmr it is worth doing. Helps with night shooting and getting more than 1 shot on a bunch of rabbits! I use a hogan mod on my CZ455.

Definitely a mod with the HMR. Makes a wicked boom otherwise, totally unexpectedly loud given the calibre.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake

Have you actually SHOT a .17HMR without a moderator? I do it about once a year just to remind myself of WHY it is essential. Even a cheap mod makes a big difference, IMO.
    I am also with Erik the Red on this: it is pretty anti-social firing off a lot of .17HMR rounds unmoderated. And it is not as though the mod is a huge over the barrel job (is it?).
    One last thought: will you ALWAYS hereafter shoot with ear defenders? If not, heaven help your hearing.

Just to clear things up a bit (maybe my OP was not very well worded!) I don't shoot hmr but have the wmr and so far have always used the SAK mod, as has my mate who DOES shoot hmr. I was asking if anyone else doesn't bother but it seems it's a no brainer! I can't remember ever firing mine without the mod on so i'll give it a go to see the difference! (With defenders obviously!)

So onto the next questions are over the barrel mods worth the money, ie, DM80 and if you have a short barrelled rimfire how far did you chop still maintaining good accuracy. Is it all down to the quality of the crown as per CF rifles,

I had considered not bothering with a mod on my hmr , as it has a 22" barrel, that is, until I tried it without one. Those small cartridges make a lot of noise for their size. I would assume that the wmr would be similar. I'd definitely recommend ear defenders.

I use a PES/MAE T12 scout on my WMR. (overbarrel 3-4" protrusion IIRC)
    makes a big difference to the noise and allows me to shoot without plugs
    Wouldn't shoot it unmoderated as I am use it in urban environs and don't want to have to keep putting ear muffs one of plugs in

mine is a full length barrel which I am loathed to chop but I can see the attraction as I have a 12.5" .22lr

That's quite a big mod isn't it mate? Isn't it front heavy being a CF mod? I have a T8 reflex on my stalking rifles and never considered using it on my WMR even though it's screwcut the same!