S&B scope adjustment going wrong way

Mungo

Do people know if some S&B scope adjustment turrets go the 'wrong' way - ie. If you turn the turret R, your POI actually goes left?

I have a feeling I might have seen this mentioned.

And if this is the case WHY??

This may be just a misunderstanding in reading the instructions which state

" Left shot : turn the horizontal adjustment's knurled ring in Direction R ",

in plain English this means " To shift aim / POI right turn the horizontal adjustment's knurled ring in Direction R ", HTH., S.

Surely you're adjusting the point of aim towards the point of impact? e.g. the shot hits to the right of the point of aim, you adjust 'R', and your next shot hits to the left of the last one, since you're now aiming further to the right.

Do people know if some S&B scope adjustment turrets go the 'wrong' way - ie. If you turn the turret R, your POI actually goes left?

Always have the same problem with my 8x56 S&B. zero the Leupold in and it's never an issue, I just put it down to old age.

After I had my Sako bedded I asked the gunsmith to test the rifle, which had an S&B 6x42 on it. I remember him being puzzled by the turret direction too & in fact asked to look at the manual to double-check it as it threw him when zeroing it. Mines a German one, don't know if it makes a difference.

The windage knob on both my 6x42L - s/no '78640' and '250224' - is labelled 'SchuBkorrektur' then 'nach' (to) between 2 semi-circular arrows pointing left 'links' and right 'rechts'......... and the adjustment effects that Left or Right click ..... so it does exactly what it says.

One click in the 'R' direction moves the POI 8.5mm@100m/1/3" @ 100yds RIGHT.

American 'scopes (Leupold, and Weaver certainly) adjust the opposite way - to move the POI Right needs an anti-clockwise turn of the adjustment knob.

Hope that makes sense. I think people just get used to a certain way of doing things:lol:.

I have had Leupolds.

I can't remember whether R was clockwise or anti clockwise. But I can say with absolute certainty that when you moved the turret in the direction indicated R, your POI went Right.

I also have another, newer Hungarian S&B and a Meopta where moving the turret R moves POI R.

It's just this one older German S&B where moving the turret in the direction labelled R causes POI to go Left.

And it seems frankly idiotic.

Surely you're adjusting the point of aim towards the point of impact? e.g. the shot hits to the right of the point of aim, you adjust 'R', and your next shot hits to the left of the last one, since you're now aiming further to the right.

This makes sense, and would be fine if all scopes did it that wat!

I have had Leupolds.

I can't remember whether R was clockwise or anti clockwise. But I can say with absolute certainty that when you moved the turret in the direction indicated R, your POI went Right.

I also have another, newer Hungarian S&B and a Meopta where moving the turret R moves POI R.

It's just this one older German S&B where moving the turret in the direction labelled R causes POI to go Left.

And it seems frankly idiotic.
Mine is an older Hungarian and R moves it to the left. I suppose that's fine if you remember this little nuance but I never do normaly. Its a pain in the ass and one day I will get round to changing the scope to a fixed swarovoski if I find one for a decent price.

Back