7mm-08 set-up

tom_o_m

Hi All

Today I had a visit from a Met firearms officer, who has provisionally said that I will be getting my FAC as requested (.22lr, .223, and 7mm-08).

I'm now in the market for an affordable second hand 7mm-08 set-up, with a slight preference for a Sauer, Steyr Mannlicher or Sako (quite simply because they look so pretty...) topped with top quality glass - i suspect this will need to be fixed magnification otherwise my wallet will take a kicking.

I'll be conditioned for a Moderator and would ideally hope to pick up a combo that includes this and a bipod.

Now I know 7mm-08s are more popular these days, but a quick google search failed to show up anything. Can anyone please suggest a stockist who might be able to provide all or some of the above, preferably near SW London or Somerset who is reliable and affordable.

Worth noting how impressive the Met team have been, business like and looking for reasons why I should be granted a license rather than excuses not to. The only problem is that they probably won't give me an open license.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom

Last edited:
This isn't on your list, but I have fallen in love with my Tikka T-3 Lite in 7-08. It has nothing to recommend it for looks but it's ruggedness and accuracy are in themselves, a thing of beauty. I have carried mine up cliffs, across plains and shot it in summer heat and -30F while coated with snow and it has never failed. I shot a mule deer doe last Saturday, off hand, and had nothing but 100% confidence in it's ability to drop her cold. I have a 3-9X Zeiss on top but it seldom leaves the 3X setting. This is how it shoots... ~Muir
TikkaGroups70842Varget_zps9c12773f.jpg%7E320x480

In '99 I went shopping for a 7mm-08 and came back with a 260 Rem. If I went shopping again today, I would come back with a .308 Win based on the availability of rifles and factory ammunition.

Regards JCS

In '99 I went shopping for a 7mm-08 and came back with a 260 Rem. If I went shopping again today, I would come back with a .308 Win based on the availability of rifles and factory ammunition.

Regards JCS

I'm sincerely curious, JCS, did you come to the 260 decision on your own or did a salesperson influence you?

I don't worry about factory ammo as I prefer to handload, and since i handload, I make 7-08 from 308 with little fuss and a case that is .005" shorter than "trim to " length for the factory 7-08. ~Muir

This isn't on your list, but I have fallen in love with my Tikka T-3 Lite in 7-08. It has nothing to recommend it for looks but it's ruggedness and accuracy are in themselves, a thing of beauty. I have carried mine up cliffs, across plains and shot it in summer heat and -30F while coated with snow and it has never failed. I shot a mule deer doe last Saturday, off hand, and had nothing but 100% confidence in it's ability to drop her cold. I have a 3-9X Zeiss on top but it seldom leaves the 3X setting. This is how it shoots... ~Muir
TikkaGroups70842Varget_zps9c12773f.jpg%7E320x480

Mine shoots 1/2 MOA with 120 and 140gr bullets.
I carried up the top of the hills in Perthshire a couple of weeks ago after some reds )no luck there though).
I have total confidence in the rifle and would use nothing else.

Thanks both

Muir - I'm not limiting myself at all, and will certainly consider anything that does the job in the right price range. I do find the Steyr rifles in particular very beautiful but the main thing is that whatever I get shoots well, it looks like your T3 certainly is!

JCS - be careful that this doesn't shift into another 'what calibre' thread! I know the limitations of the 7mm-08 and I know it's performance is so marginally better as to make no difference. But I will not be shooting it week in week out, so am happy to pay a little extra for ammo. I will have complete confidence that anything in my shoting range will go down, which for a relative novice is worth the extra money.

Tom

Just to add, my plan is to find a well performing 140gr factory load and stick to that for everything.

Again, suggestions on where to start looking most welcome!

Hopefully these won't cost the earth...

Last edited:
I'm sincerely curious, JCS, did you come to the 260 decision on your own...

Muir. I seem to remember spending a lot of time in Borders reading American gun magazines. At least one article highlighted the recently released 260 Rem. The 260 Rem is still around (2 in the cabinet at present) however Borders is no more.

Regards JCS

I'd keep an eye out on here in the classifieds that's where I bought my 7 mm ( tikka t3 laminate stainless + mod ) got a good deal on here if you shoot a fair bit , ( I'm putting about 100 rounds a year through mine ) it will be worth reloading , I'm shooting hornady 139gr btsp through mine they group very well

I've had my Sako for over 10 years. Wouldn't part with it for love nor money. It's probably my favourite calibre but really needs to be handloaded to make the ammunition affordable.

Good luck in your hunt, there's not much on Guntrader in 7mm08 at the moment.

Yes, and I have to admit. Once I have exhausted searching GunTrader I'm short of ideas where next!

I will be firing maybe 50-100 rounds per year (I will practise with the cheaper calibres), so the aditional cost of have a 7mm-08 over say, a .308, won't be huge.

If this is your first and only big game rifle, then I suggest the T3 Lite in 7mm-08, .308 or 6.5x55.
I have a T3 in 7mm-08 and love it.
I also own several Sakos in walnut and love them.
And I own Steyr Mannlichers in walnut and polished blue, as well as modern SBS matte and synthetic. Love them, too.

The T3 is light weight, but good, heavy enough barrel, and they shoot so well with lots of ammunition. Save the gun money and use it for ammo, get familiar with one good load and spend the time hunting.

PM, I had seen this. Assuming everything goes to plan I should be able to legally purchase ammo in the next 3-4 weeks. I will certainly be interested.

How do the HPS rounds perform?

PM, I had seen this. Assuming everything goes to plan I should be able to legally purchase ammo in the next 3-4 weeks. I will certainly be interested.

How do the HPS rounds perform?
They weren't the most accurate in my rifle but that means nothing. They're perfectly good enough though!

Thanks both

Muir - I'm not limiting myself at all, and will certainly consider anything that does the job in the right price range. I do find the Steyr rifles in particular very beautiful but the main thing is that whatever I get shoots well, it looks like your T3 certainly is!

JCS - be careful that this doesn't shift into another 'what calibre' thread! I know the limitations of the 7mm-08 and I know it's performance is so marginally better as to make no difference. But I will not be shooting it week in week out, so am happy to pay a little extra for ammo. I will have complete confidence that anything in my shoting range will go down, which for a relative novice is worth the extra money.

Tom

Just to give you more confidence tom_o_m I got a Red hind this morning, dressed out chiller weight was 190 lbs. One of a quite a few this season so no worries there for the 7mm-08 performance with 140gr SPBT! Also nice a smooth to shoot.

I visited the Beretta Gallery on one of my infrequent visits to London recently and had a look at the Sako A7 against the T3, I thought it was pretty good for the money (not the Beretta Gallery price though!! You'll have to go local). It had some of the nice points of the Sako 85/75 and possibly some of the cheaper points of the Tikka. Either way all three Sako 85, A7 or Tikka T3 won't let you down, I'd be happy with any of them. But you'd need to order in advance because it's up to a six month wait!

Good luck!

Back