Thread: Blind Roe Buck

Blind Roe Buck

I was this afternoon for a walk with the dog and noticed a Roe Buck sitting in the middle of a wheat field. I put the glass up to have a look at him, as you do. He was looking my way but something was not right. I started to walk towards him, he just stayed put. As I got closer 50 yards he put his head down. I got to within 20 yards and looked at him with the bino's. He eyes where cloudy and had something else on them as well. I walked to within 10 yards. He stayed put.
    I walk back to the house and got the rifle and wandered back. He was still in the same place and position as I had last seen him. I put him out of his misery. Both eyes where the same, over all condition was good but not great. Slightly bloated and nothing to raise alarm bells on the inside.

Any feed back on what this poor chap was suffering with would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Evening Stigercargill,
    No he was no more than 3 years of age. Also when we where out the day before shooting a few pheasants and ducks there was a doe and a fawn that had similar eyes to the buck. The did not move when the shots where going off. They move only when I was almost on top of them. The doe ran around in circles and the fawn was very uncoordinated. The did not move far. Out for a look to see if I could find them this evening but no joy, hopefully more luck tomorrow. I have never seen this behaviour before and all three where no more than 500 yards from each other.

Are there any rape fields close by?

Rapeseed Blindness in Roe

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Are there any rape fields close by?

Rapeseed Blindness in Roe

Quick answer, No. This is what I thought at first.

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    I thought that in any case rapeseed blindness affected the brain's ability to deal with input from the optic nerve rather than the eyes themselves, and the photo seems to indicate physical abnormality in the eye.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 02-12-2014 at 17:29. Reason: typo
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Is that fly blow around the eye? It does look like a cataract to be honest,but,if more have the same affliction then more likely something else but wouldn't know what else,what was the lymph system like and the meat and gralloch/vellums?

Apart for being a little bloated all else was fine. And nothing untoward in the stomach, not that I could see.