Remington Recall Again!!!

'All Model 700's made since 1962.' Wow! The 700 Trigger issue has been simmering in the States for some time.

That will hurt them.

I noted they are also having to recall a bunch of Model 887 Pump Shotguns too.

Yorkie.

The last decent rifles Remington made were the 721 and 722 series. The 600s, 788s, and 700's are all budget-built guns. The only thing that changes is the degree of polish. The term "agricultural" gets used as a firearms description here. Remingtons, generally, don't even rate that. They have always been mechanically troublesome and this is just another example of it.~Muir

Why can they not describe the "Fault" completely?.... excess bonding agent my arse!......... what, did they gluestick the metal parts together or what?...... My Remmies are O.K., pass the drop test O.K.:-|

I've got an old 725 in 30-06 , it's a great rifle . To be honest , I've owned a number of 700's and never had a problem , granted they were all older models . My brother has my old 700 BDL in 350 RM , it was made in 72 and hasn't missed a beat in over 40 years . They aren't an overly fancy rifle , agricultural is a good description lol , but they worked well enough for me .

AB

They are a good work horse, every make of rifle has issues. I have had rifles costing three times the price of a 700 giving me more problems. Did these rifle manufacturers do a recall no they didn't. Are these problems still occurring? Yes they are. Ok it's slightly annoying that Remington won't say what the actual problem is but the important thing is they are trying to resolve it.

Al

I would not be surprised to see Remington Rifles increase in price to pay for this massive recall, question is will new customers be put off the brand?

They are a good work horse, every make of rifle has issues. I have had rifles costing three times the price of a 700 giving me more problems. Did these rifle manufacturers do a recall no they didn't. Are these problems still occurring? Yes they are. Ok it's slightly annoying that Remington won't say what the actual problem is but the important thing is they are trying to resolve it.

Al

Following the link and reading further it has been claimed that the gun can fire when the safety is released with a cartridge chambered, and this is necessary to unload the gun.

If they had bought out butler creek and were forced to give a refund for every faulty scope cover purchased they would be bankrupt by now!

Following the link and reading further it has been claimed that the gun can fire when the safety is released with a cartridge chambered, and this is necessary to unload the gun.

Experienced this last week when messing about with the trigger. If you screw in the top trigger adjuster too far you can indeed get the rifle to fire when releasing the safety but this is way outside factory settings and specifically voids the warranty!

'All Model 700's made since 1962.' Wow! The 700 Trigger issue has been simmering in the States for some time.

That will hurt them.

I noted they are also having to recall a bunch of Model 887 Pump Shotguns too.

Yorkie.

The company also has issues with their R51 pistol that was launched and then recalled for replacement.

You can unload remies with the safety in the on position.

I've had a few 700's but have always fitted a custom trigger and they have all given great service and still do. Around these parts the 700 is one of the most popular rifles and I've never heard any complaints.They function, are accurate and cheap. It's a pity a simple trigger unit lets this rifle down so much.

I doubt it will break Remington as many people will probably ignore the recall anyway and others will just fit a custom trigger - perhaps?

Again :eek: !!! Ok here's a Free offer to Remington owners,
i need new fence posts for 300 mt's of swamp ;),So then please send me your fence post's F.O.C ,all will be placed barrel down to make sure they are safe!!!
:stir:

Again :eek: !!! Ok here's a Free offer to Remington owners,
i need new fence posts for 300 mt's of swamp ;),So then please send me your fence post's F.O.C ,all will be placed barrel down to make sure they are safe!!!
:stir:

Even factory plastic ones!?

The last decent rifles Remington made were the 721 and 722 series. The 600s, 788s, and 700's are all budget-built guns. The only thing that changes is the degree of polish. The term "agricultural" gets used as a firearms description here. Remingtons, generally, don't even rate that. They have always been mechanically troublesome and this is just another example of it.~Muir

The trigger design in the 700 was introduced in 1948 with the 721/722. The problems has always been that it could and is often "adjusted" by people incompetent to do so. Remington has been able to beat most of the lawsuits because they could prove the plaintiff had created the unsafe condition himself, friend of mine was often an expert witness in some of the cases. Unfortunately times have changed and a company must now produce wares that are absolutely idiot proof. Stuart Otteson's first book "The Bolt action Rifle" gives a good explanation of the operation of the 700 trigger and its proper adjustment. I will continue using my 700 with the triggers they came with. One exception is that I might send one in for a new trigger to see what it looks like and then decide whether to fit one of the extras I have or go with a replacement from Timney or Jewel.

Next some moron will claim the 700 extractor is a liability....

SS

The trigger design in the 700 was introduced in 1948 with the 721/722. The problems has always been that it could and is often "adjusted" by people incompetent to do so. Remington has been able to beat most of the lawsuits because they could prove the plaintiff had created the unsafe condition himself, friend of mine was often an expert witness in some of the cases. Unfortunately times have changed and a company must now produce wares that are absolutely idiot proof. Stuart Otteson's first book "The Bolt action Rifle" gives a good explanation of the operation of the 700 trigger and its proper adjustment. I will continue using my 700 with the triggers they came with. One exception is that I might send one in for a new trigger to see what it looks like and then decide whether to fit one of the extras I have or go with a replacement from Timney or Jewel.

Next some moron will claim the 700 extractor is a liability....

SS

They just might.~Muir

Back