Rta ?

trouble

While traveling along a busy A road at about 7.15 thursday morning a fallow crossed the road some way off in front so I slowed down in case another followed it , sure enough another crossed so i slowed a bit more and i could see another lay on the verge with its head in the road , as i came to it i noticed its front leg kicking so i pulled up and thought i would help her on her way with a knife i had on me . I dragged her on to the verge and noticed what looked like an exit wound behind her front leg , so i rolled her over and there it was , an entrence wound the other side ! Now , Im no CSI but it looked like a good heart shot to me and i dont think it would have run straight through the belt of trees on the road side and when i passed the other way later in the day there it was , gone . :eek:

So it hadn't been hit, more importantly you didn't hit it, so can you take it ?

Neil. :)

No ... I would suggest not, it does not belong to you, it belongs to the landowner .... presumably Highways or local council whose responsibility it is to dispose of it.

Phone it in to the police 101 as it could cause an accident by people stopping to look at it or to try and offer it help.

I wouldn't leave it to the police if it was suffering...it doesn't take long to put it out of its misery

No ... I would suggest not, it does not belong to you, it belongs to the landowner .... presumably Highways or local council whose responsibility it is to dispose of it.

Phone it in to the police 101 as it could cause an accident by people stopping to look at it or to try and offer it help.

I wouldn't leave it to the police if it was suffering...it doesn't take long to put it out of its misery

I don't doubt you could .... the correct protocol would be to phone in it ..... and then if the police wanted you to take action then you have permission to do so.

If you are operating in a remote location then I could see why you would be tempted .... but you could be injured yourself, or cause an accident ..... that's why you phone it in .... there may well be a HAD team on call close by?

Fair enough. It's a personal call to make. I just wouldn't want it to suffer any longer than necessary.

OP did the decent thing and then left the dead animal on the land. It then became the property of the Local Authority, as per "the Law".

OP didn't thieve it.

Said property of the Local Authority was then removed by ?

What's the problem?

This is how Deer Management Group RTA schemes operate, only they have a Police incident number first and then have Police call relevant Local Authority to collect, eventually.....

Stan

I don't doubt you could .... the correct protocol would be to phone in it ..... and then if the police wanted you to take action then you have permission to do so.

If you are operating in a remote location then I could see why you would be tempted .... but you could be injured yourself, or cause an accident ..... that's why you phone it in .... there may well be a HAD team on call close by?
I am a HAD , the point is the deer had not been hit by a car it had been shot . Theres a belt of trees on the road side and i would think who ever shot it watched me dispatch it before nipping out and dragging it back into the trees

You guys just like to argue, the highways dept, does not give a rats arse , it is just a problem to them, which costs money, protocol this, protocol that, if I had driven past it would have been guts out in the back of my truck in less than a minute.
How come there's no call out service for foxes, badgers etc hit on the road, why do you think deer are more deserving.

Dispatch and lift to a safe place this could be your chill phone it in and tell the cops you do not know who's owns the land or who to contact and if any one wants the deer it is with you for safe keeping. Personally I wouldn't take a deer that I hadn't culled my self.

Common sense needs to prevail here. If its that close to death and needs dispatching then get on with it for the animals sake and other road users. But I would certainly not entertain taking it to eat.

You guys just like to argue, the highways dept, does not give a rats arse , it is just a problem to them, which costs money, protocol this, protocol that, if I had driven past it would have been guts out in the back of my truck in less than a minute.
How come there's no call out service for foxes, badgers etc hit on the road, why do you think deer are more deserving.

Well said that man!

Even more common sense would suggest that if the fallow was chest shot and twitching then a stalker would shortly be following it up. The shot would have probably only happened 30 seconds before and whoever pulled the trigger probably wouldn't have even started to move towards the shot site yet. The OP was correct in leaving the deer for the stalker to follow up. If that had been me stalking I could have spent hours looking for the deer (assuming there was no gralloch) that had been thrown into the back of someone's truck.

We all know , or should know , the legal side of who owns a deer in this situation . My point is this , where I found this deer the verge is about 10 yards wide then theres a belt of woodland maybe 30 yards wide with a good stock proof fence on the field side , I dont think a shot deer would have cleared a fence , ran through a shelter belt and collapsed on the road side . Id say someone was daft enough to shoot it inside the belt on the road side

We all know , or should know , the legal side of who owns a deer in this situation . My point is this , where I found this deer the verge is about 10 yards wide then theres a belt of woodland maybe 30 yards wide with a good stock proof fence on the field side , I dont think a shot deer would have cleared a fence , ran through a shelter belt and collapsed on the road side . Id say someone was daft enough to shoot it inside the belt on the road side

I would say you are presuming too much without knowing any facts on that deers demise.Why dont you think the deer would jump a fence and run 40ish yards after being shot?Surely you have shot enough deer to know what they are capable of without having to post that whoever shot it was daft,not knowing any facts?

I've chest shot plenty of sika which have cleared stock fences and ran another 70m into the woods!

Back