Grrr some more advice if possible

NickW

Hi all, after a previous post on advice I actually went for a Leupold system of mounts on the finnlight. I have always liked Leupold so I thought why not, went for the QR bases for easy of mounting and so on, and stupidly went for medium rings I pretty much knew the low rings wern't any good for the scope as its a S&B 8 x 56. Got the rings today and low and behold the scope touches the barrel with the medium mounts. Anyone have any experience with finnlights and 8 x 56.?..Do I now go high rings or super high. Googled a few results and it seems the QR mounts and rings are lower than "normal" and medium equates to "normal" low and so on, based on that high should be ok but I'd like to get it right this time as in high or super high...gut feeling says go super high and therefore won't have a problem but the age old adage of trying to mount as low as possible is niggling me.
Thanks for any help as always its appreciated from those in the know.

Hi,

I think at home I have a Leupold Cat which will list all the ring dimensions. If you post the height you need I may be able to assist. Photo of what you need/current set up would be helpfull.

C

Hi all, after a previous post on advice I actually went for a Leupold system of mounts on the finnlight. I have always liked Leupold so I thought why not, went for the QR bases for easy of mounting and so on, and stupidly went for medium rings I pretty much knew the low rings wern't any good for the scope as its a S&B 8 x 56. Got the rings today and low and behold the scope touches the barrel with the medium mounts. Anyone have any experience with finnlights and 8 x 56.?..Do I now go high rings or super high. Googled a few results and it seems the QR mounts and rings are lower than "normal" and medium equates to "normal" low and so on, based on that high should be ok but I'd like to get it right this time as in high or super high...gut feeling says go super high and therefore won't have a problem but the age old adage of trying to mount as low as possible is niggling me.
Thanks for any help as always its appreciated from those in the know.

OK how close are the rings to seating when the barrel touches?

If it's only just then surely the next height should work ;).

gut feeling says go super high and therefore won't have a problem but the age old adage of trying to mount as low as possible is niggling me

Hmmmm I do not follow this adage. I mount my scopes so that when I mount the rifle to the shoulder with the head in a relaxed natural position the scope alings with my eye. I leave the stock crawling to the Americans ;). Townesnd Whelan was one who kept on about low mounted scope but I feel it was more to do with his own phyiscal build than anything else.

Thnx guys...I had a quick measure and looks like an extra 3mm needed...trouble is when I add that to the back mount the bloody obj still just touches the barrel,given where I want the scope ...so i'm going to get the super high its adds something like 5.9mm so should be fine and saves going back and forward returning rings and so on, the high added 3.3 mm or so and may have worked but seeing as it was so close I'll err on the safe side. Thanks for the advice and offer, much appreciated.....
p.s I'll be back if the super high is fubared.

Back