S&W MP-15 22 feedback

tramblygoat

Hi folks - I just ordered a couple of rifles. S&W MP-15 22 and a Stag 3TM 223Rem (I live in France so they are both semi-auto). I believe that 22LR semi autos are allowed in the UK (for the moment anyway) so I wondered if anybody has tried the S&W MP-15 22. There are lots of good reports from the USA but I was curious if any UK guys/girls had tried it out and with what results?

Regards

A shooting buddy of mine has a 15-22 MOE and can't get better than a 5cm group at 50m, with average group size even bigger. I really fancied one until seeing the accuracy (or lack of it) of his. We've tried mod on mod off, different scopes, hi velocity and subs of almost every variety, all to no avail. It got to the stage where I refused to take him out on my permissions as even if he hit the rabbits, there was no guarantee where and so lots of spoiled meat and worse, wounded animals that managed to drag themselves back into the hedge. Are 15-22's great fun, sure, but steer well clear of for hunting.

If you want a rifle that looks like an AR15 then that's your ticket, but they are far from a precision instrument.~Muir

The are not as accurate as a good bolt action, Marlin 60 or tuned up Ruger 10/22, but the S&W M&P 15-22 is supposed to be the most accurate of all the "tactical" .22s. After a bunch of handing and research, I got a deal on an M&P 15-22. I had talked with S&W about it, and they said to use the slightly smaller diameter Federal blue box ammo, because the 15-22 has a tight chamber. I tested several brands, and it did shoot the cheaper federal well. The 15-22 was designed as a training tool for law enforcement, to match the M&P 15, the same as their .22 pistol matches the M&P 40.

A shooting buddy of mine has a 15-22 MOE and can't get better than a 5cm group at 50m, with average group size even bigger. I really fancied one until seeing the accuracy (or lack of it) of his. We've tried mod on mod off, different scopes, hi velocity and subs of almost every variety, all to no avail. It got to the stage where I refused to take him out on my permissions as even if he hit the rabbits, there was no guarantee where and so lots of spoiled meat and worse, wounded animals that managed to drag themselves back into the hedge. Are 15-22's great fun, sure, but steer well clear of for hunting.

They are great guns, I have 2 and they are probably the most used S/A rifle in mini rifle comps in the UK where we shoot them at 25 to 50m, mostly 25m, I certainly wouldn't want to use one hunting but then they are not designed for that, i wouldn't use mine for hunting I have my CZ 452 .22 for when the time comes.

There is a performance centre version that is a lot more accurate.

I have a Unique X-51 (hidden away so to speak), rare to find anyone else with one especially in the UK - it is unfortunately in Cat B in France and you need to have an approval. This change in the law was what caused the demise of Unique. Another pain is that you can only use it is an approved shooting range. So no going after small game with semi-auto 22LR`s or any semi auto with more than 3 shots. I am looking for a magazine for a X-51 if you know of one anywhere?

If you want a rifle that looks like an AR15 then that's your ticket, but they are far from a precision instrument.~Muir

I have ordered a Stag 3TM in 5,56mm so the S&W is just to use for practise as it soon gets expensive firing in 5,56mm. Also the range next to me (in town) only allows rifle in 22LR because of the noise (it's open air). Strangely they don't mind us shooting or pistols and my Glock 9mm does tend to make a bit of noise when I fire off 17 shots in 10 seconds :D

It's the MOE version I ordered as it wasn`t much more than the standard. Where I live semi-autos of more than 3 shots are only allowed on shooting ranges. I don't have need to use a semi-auto for small game work. They seem reasonably accurate at 50m but not as much so as a decent bolt action 22LR. I already have 4 other 22LRs so the Smith is just for a bit of fun and AR-15 practise on the cheap.

They are great guns, I have 2 and they are probably the most used S/A rifle in mini rifle comps in the UK where we shoot them at 25 to 50m, mostly 25m, I certainly wouldn't want to use one hunting but then they are not designed for that, i wouldn't use mine for hunting I have my CZ 452 .22 for when the time comes.

There is a performance centre version that is a lot more accurate.

It's the MOE version I ordered as it wasn`t much more than the standard. Where I live semi-autos of more than 3 shots are only allowed on shooting ranges. I don't have need to use a semi-auto for small game work. They seem reasonably accurate at 50m but not as much so as a decent bolt action 22LR. I already have 4 other 22LRs so the Smith is just for a bit of fun and AR-15 practise on the cheap.

Yeah one of mine is the MOE version and the wife's is a standard, I actually prefer the hand grip on the standard one. I do sometimes find mine a bit light for me when doing comps shooting at standard IPSC targets as I tend to waiver a bit on the 2nd shot but part of that is due to me suffering from high adrenaline once the buzzer goes.
The only thing that let's the gun down is the lack of metal feed lips on the mags as they can wear quite quickly if you put a lot of rounds through them but I managed to fix mine just using a good super glue to build the worn edges back up and then file them back into shape.

Be prepared to buy alot of ammo as they are addictive especially if you are shooting at steel plates, it's easy to do 500+ in a session. Enjoy it for what it's designed for, as someone said it was made as a cheap training version for law enforcement instead of shooting 5.56

The only problem with some of these .22s for training is that it can be so much fun and cheap that it can instill bad habits instead of good ones.

I have only shot my M&P 15-22 with its iron sights, and got 20 rounds into a 1.5 inches at 50 yards, in a timed fire of 10 rounds each. I will mount a scope to see what it can do.

I really like my M&P 22 autopistol. It is a good sales tool, to get you to buy a 9mm, .40, or .45. I think it makes a good home defense pistol, too, because it looks like one of its big brothers to a perp.

Back