moderator farce

limulus

A fellow fac license holder and I have agreed to swap moderators.
Same calibre. One is declared on ticket as a t8 moderator, the other as Nvn (no visible number)
In order to swap we must lodge our respective moderators with a rfd, apply for a 1 for 1 variation, then transfer the moderator from said rfd to fill the slot. Each step with the rfd will cost £15 so some £60 simply to swap.
Ofcourse we could simply apply for another slot each, but again close to £60.
Is this the only way to stay within regulations?

Separately but still on moderators
I have two moderators which are identical.
One is on my ticket as t8 7.62 moderator, the other .243, Nvn
They are completely interchangeable but am I committing an offence if I inadvertently use the 7.62 mod on the 243 and vice verse?
This then set my cell into overdrive!
If I have a sako quad with a .22 moderator and a .17hmr barrel as well as the .22, but use the .22mod on each barrel even though I have a slot for a 17hmr mod I would also be committing an offence?

I think moderators should come off the HO remit to register just as rifle stocks, trigger assemblies etc are not recorded.

It's all very silly, when my FEO checked my cabinet contents he didn't bother to even unwrap one of the mods. I always use my old mod because I don't want the nice new one scuffed, even though the rifles are different calibres. What I cant remember form my FAC is if the calibre is stated for each mod.
GH

I have one moderator, it's a Third Eye Tactical Spartan III in .338" that I use on my .338, .308, .223 and .222, the police are fully aware that I use one mod for all, and if I buy another gun, I just get a muzzle brake to suit, and use that same mod, i do swap the baffles when using with the 223/222 as I have the correct ones, but in all honesty, it makes very little difference, all my calibers are 'conditioned' for the use of a moderator.

Aren't you technically committing an offence when using that moderator on a calibre for which it isn't on your ticket for though?
If that's is the case yet 'the police' turn a blind eye to it shouldn't the law be changed to reflect the reality?
You can bet your ass if push came to shove you'd be the one with a record for illegal possession/use of a firearm!

A fellow fac license holder and I have agreed to swap moderators.
Same calibre. One is declared on ticket as a t8 moderator, the other as Nvn (no visible number)
In order to swap we must lodge our respective moderators with a rfd, apply for a 1 for 1 variation, then transfer the moderator from said rfd to fill the slot. Each step with the rfd will cost £15 so some £60 simply to swap.
Ofcourse we could simply apply for another slot each, but again close to £60.
Is this the only way to stay within regulations?

Separately but still on moderators
I have two moderators which are identical.
One is on my ticket as t8 7.62 moderator, the other .243, Nvn
They are completely interchangeable but am I committing an offence if I inadvertently use the 7.62 mod on the 243 and vice verse?
This then set my cell into overdrive!
If I have a sako quad with a .22 moderator and a .17hmr barrel as well as the .22, but use the .22mod on each barrel even though I have a slot for a 17hmr mod I would also be committing an offence?

I think moderators should come off the HO remit to register just as rifle stocks, trigger assemblies etc are not recorded.

Is this being done in person?? or are they having to be sent to each other?

Apparently we can't do this in person as neither of us has an open slot as they're currently filled with our respective mods.

In edit. ...We live fairly close to each other do the intention was to just swap and write it on each others license

How can a piece of tubing with some baffles inside be subject to so much legal to-ing and fro-ing?

I have a Parker Hale mod' entered on my ticket for the .22LR. I also have an SAK mod' for the air rifle with the same thread. If I was to use the SAK on my rimfire I'd be committing an offence though :scared:

I also have mod' slots for my 22-250 and .270, but I use my 30cal' ASE for both.....does this mean that unless I buy a mod' dedicated for my 22-250 that I'm liable to lose the slot on renewal, then? My tickets has Items 5 and 6 as 'Calibre'-Full Bore and 'Type'-Moderator......no mention of any calibre-specifics though.

Last edited:
Aren't you technically committing an offence when using that moderator on a calibre for which it isn't on your ticket for though?
If that's is the case yet 'the police' turn a blind eye to it shouldn't the law be changed to reflect the reality?
You can bet your ass if push came to shove you'd be the one with a record for illegal possession/use of a firearm!

Don't believe so. From current HO Guidance:

13.79 Sound moderators should be assigned a calibre, but it is good practice to permit them to be used with more than one calibre of firearm. It is a matter for the individual shooter, subject to the “good reason” test, to decide whether to use a moderator on more than one suitable firearm or to have individual moderators for each firearm.

Apparently we can't do this in person as neither of us has an open slot as they're currently filled with our respective mods.

In edit. ...We live fairly close to each other do the intention was to just swap and write it on each others license

Ok - bit of common sense here.... why cant you fill in each others tickets at the same time that way neither of you are committing an offense??

Limulus do you both reside in the same police area? If you do why not simply explain to your licensing authority what you want to do and I'm sure they will find a simple way of doing the swap without the need to involve a RFD or the need to pay for variations.

What type are the two moderators that you wish to swap.

If if you live close why don't you go visit the firearms Dept nd ask them to change your certificate to just fullbore moderators. I think the problem may be being a little over thought

Ok - bit of common sense here.... why cant you fill in each others tickets at the same time that way neither of you are committing an offense??

Presumably because in order to get a 1 for 1 slot freed up you must first dispose of the existing moderator, and he can't do that because the other guy doesn't have a slot either!

Presumably because in order to get a 1 for 1 slot freed up you must first dispose of the existing moderator, and he can't do that because the other guy doesn't have a slot either!

but they are both selling/swapping at the same time so neither needs a free slot as neither will be in possession of two!

but they are both selling/swapping at the same time so neither needs a free slot as neither will be in possession of two!

That's exactly why they won't be able to do it redlab, as neither will have a free slot for a moderator until they apply for their 1-4-1 variations.

That's why I suggested having a word with the licensing department as very often they can see a simple solution and are only too willing to help if you explain it clearly and don't try to take the mick or overcomplicate it.

That's exactly why they won't be able to do it redlab, as neither will have a free slot for a moderator until they apply for their 1-4-1 variations.

That's why I suggested having a word with the licensing department as very often they can see a simple solution and are only too willing to help if you explain it clearly and don't try to take the mick or over complicate it.

This is the bit I'm not following here as I've never swapped a firearm, so will bow to your superior knowledge as you usually are an oracle!! Will they not still have the authority to possess the moderators? as they will be both selling the moderators at the same time, they are not giving up the authority to possess a moderator, only the moderator itself - so surely they will still be able to purchase a moderator as they still have authority to posses one? did that make sense??

did that make sense??

It would if common sense ruled in Firearms Licensing - especially when applied to moderators! Unfortunately the same rules apply to the procedure that must be adopted for all firearms, including moderators, and here it is from the horse's mouth:

HO Guidance.

“One for one” variations
10.66 A variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms, even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling ('Wilson v Coombe', Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988). “One for one” variation refers to firearms that are authorised to be acquired following the disposal of a firearm or a request to change an existing authority to acquire.There is no set time in which the certificate holder must apply for a replacement authority once their firearm is disposed of. The keeping of open authorities indefinitely should be discouraged, subject to a collector seeking particular firearms. Applications for “one for one” variations should be made by the certificate holder submitting their firearm certificate together with a completed Form 101 to the police firearms licensing department. Such variations are processed free of charge. In most cases, it will not be necessary to re-examine the applicant’s circumstances. Further enquiries will be necessary, however, if for example the application is for a change of use or for a full-bore firearm when the holder’s shooting club only has facilities for small-bore shooting.

This is the bit I'm not following here as I've never swapped a firearm, so will bow to your superior knowledge as you usually are an oracle!! Will they not still have the authority to possess the moderators? as they will be both selling the moderators at the same time, they are not giving up the authority to possess a moderator, only the moderator itself - so surely they will still be able to purchase a moderator as they still have authority to posses one? did that make sense??

Unfortunately redlab that would be too simple and probably makes sense but as Orion points out the firearms act requires you to apply for a variation even if you are replacing it with an identical firearm/moderator.

I remember two pistol club members who decided to swap .22 pistols some years ago and did so, and then informed the Chief Constable of the exchange thinking that it was a mere formality. Both were invited in for a one sided talk with the Deputy Chief Constable and informed in no uncertain terms that this was not the way to do it. They were also informed that they should consider themselves very lucky that their FACs were not revoked.
It seems the police take this sort of unauthorised exchange very seriously indeed, but I am sure that if asked nicely they will facilitate such a transfer with minimum fuss. After all they don't want to appear unreasonable all the time do they. I generally find that if you ask nicely and it's possible they will generally go the extra mile.

I have asked nicely and if there was an incredulous face smiley now would be the time to use it!
The easiest way, apparently, is to pay for variation to allow another moderator. This a shall do and ensure its specified as 'centre fire moderator'.

Why they insist on these being licensed I would like to know? Apart from a money making exercise, They don't require to be proofed. no good unless you have the firearms to screw it onto, which is already controlled. You can buy them over the counter for an air rifle and screw it straight onto a .22 rimfire. Go figure….

Limlus, just both talk to local RFD I'm sure they would facilitate your predicament while you buy some shells or something for your next trip to the marsh.

Back