Christmas decoration v Fire hazzard quandry.

FrenchieBoy

I think I have just come across what seems to be an "Ebenezer Scrooge" situation! :evil:
The residents in the flats where I live have all just received a note telling us that we are not allowed to have an artificial festive wreath hanging on our front door (Quote) "in order to minimise the fire risk over the festive period". However the same note tells us that some designated areas within building will be having Christmas decorations put up - These designated Areas no doubt mean the Residents Lounge and of course directly outside the manager's office.
Now my line of thinking is that these decorations (No doubt tinsel and streamers (The usual type of household Christmas decorations) that are going to be put up in these "designated areas" are also likely to be either just as flamable or would give off exactly the same toxic fumes in the event of a fire so it puzzles me as to what makes them less of a fire hazzard in these areas as opposed to an artificial wreath hanging on our door?
I'm all for safety but on the other hand I also enjoy celebrating Christmas with the usual decorations and all the trimmings but this seems to smell of some sort of a "double standards" situation!
Any thoughts gents?

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Is there a possibility that some hooligan will come running by setting them all on fire? Has it happened before? I would think if the area outside your door is on fire a wreath is hardly going to make much of an impact. Unless of course you have some sort of spontaneously combusting ones. Things like this really annoy me.

Your post says ''we are not allowed to have an ARTIFICIAL festive wreath hanging on our front door'' - I would stick up a REAL one and say Merry Christmas, GET IT UP YE! (unless you might get evicted of course!)

i would guess that you are not allowed them in corridors to preserve the escape route in case of fire. the residents lounge probably has a FD30 door.

It would seem that the responsible person is managing the common areas in your block of flats quite correctly Frenchieboy. However they have failed to explain to the residents the reason for what can appear a bit severe or harsh to you all.
It's not a scooge thing it's about proper fire safety management having carried out a fire risk assessment of the particular situation. As Artschool says the corridors are escape routes where it is necessary to control sources of ignition, flamable materials and such things as surface linings and surface spread of flame. Whereas the residents lounge will be a compartment seperated from the escape routes by fire resisting construction and doors.

The problem is that if they permit a limited amount of decoration on escape routes there is the possibility that some residents will take it too far and try to go one better than their next door neighbours. Just out of interest is there automatic fire detection on the corridors outside your flat and is there an entry control system at the entrance doors.

Sounds like the place my Mum lives in, she got told the same, but does it anyway.
When she was asked to take it down she said, "I'll take it down when you remove the decorations in the lounge"
Five years on nobody has asked again.

Neil. :)

Sounds like the place my Mum lives in, she got told the same, but does it anyway.
When she was asked to take it down she said, "I'll take it down when you remove the decorations in the lounge"

The reasoning should have been explained to your Mum and the decorations taken down Neil. It's all about getting the balance right and explanation, but so often the resposible person gets it wrong either by going totally overboard on safety or by neglecting their duties entirely.

As with most things a little bit of communication can save an awful lot of ill feeling and resentment. We tend to talk at people these days rather than talking to people.

Last edited:
At least you got the fire hazard excuse and not the excuse that it may offend some non Christian residents who don't partake in Christmas!

I have never encountered anyone of any religious persuasion or indeed any atheists who are offended by Christmas. Everyone quite likes it! Apart of course, famously, from Oliver Cromwell. And that was because he didn't find Christmas to be Christian enough...

Rules made by those trying to keep themselves in a job.

Rules made by those trying to keep themselves in a job.

Far from it Basil the guidance and rules are there for perfectly valid reasons, unfortunately there is very often a misunderstanding of what is actually required in manageing the fire safety arrangments in a premise.

Pine Marten - "I have never encountered anyone of any religious persuasion or indeed any atheists who are offended by Christmas. Everyone quite likes it! Apart of course, famously, from Oliver Cromwell. And that was because he didn't find Christmas to be Christian enough..."

I take it that you haven't encountered political correctness as advocated by some local authorities then Pine Marten.

No unfortunately it's not an urban myth. When I was in the fire service we received clear orders one year giving strict guidance on what was acceptable and what was not so that we didn't cause any racial disharmony.

Far from it Basil the guidance and rules are there for perfectly valid reasons, unfortunately there is very often a misunderstanding of what is actually required in manageing the fire safety arrangments in a premise.

Then please justify the logic where it`s ok to put a potential fire in the middle of a building but you can`t put a non fire hazard on the outside?
Like my job .. it takes one or two of us to do it but there`s six others standing around making sure I/we do it by the book.

"Then please justify the logic where it`s ok to put a potential fire in the middle of a building but you can`t put a non fire hazard on the outside? "

Sorry Basil but you have lost me, what are you refering to?

"Then please justify the logic where it`s ok to put a potential fire in the middle of a building but you can`t put a non fire hazard on the outside? "

Sorry Basil but you have lost me, what are you refering to?
Apologies Paul .. I`ve crossed my wires .. if you pardon the pun.

Back