Going to the range before a stalk

KB1

I need to check the zeroing on my rifle on the range tomorrow and have a couple of different brands / grains of ammo I want to try out tomorrow. As the barrel and moderator will start to heat and clog up I'm looking to take my cleaning rod with me to use in between the different rounds. Question, should I just use clean batches to run through the barrel or bristles/brushes instead?
Also, I'm on a stalk on Friday so again, should I just stick to the clean patches before the stalk and nothing else?
thanks

Check your zero then leave it, you can clean it after the stalk. putting a couple of rounds through it wont hurt it. nothing should "clog up"

Regards,

Gixer

How about the moderator, does it need to be cleaned out?

Check your zero then leave it, you can clean it after the stalk. putting a couple of rounds through it wont hurt it. nothing should "clog up"

Regards,

Gixer

You could clean your bore properly before going stalking. Just make sure you put lots of cotton patches through until it's totally free of any oil/bore cleaner. With the moderator you could clean it if you like - shouldn't have any effect on POI as long as everything's tight. Most important is making sure you dry out mod in a warm place if it is damp.

Not after a few rounds at the range to check point of impact - by all means clean it after the stalking trip but the rifle will be fine being left for a couple of days.

Many people never clean thier rifles and they are still plenty accurate after years of service - some clean daily....I don't think there is a solid argument for either as some claim not cleaning causes damage whereas some claim over cleaning causes damage!

I tend to sit in the middle and give my rifles a wipe down with an oily rage after every outing but only use a pullthrough or rods with some hoppes 9 after about 50 rounds then some patches with oil to give the bore some protection.

Regards,

Gixer

+1 for what Gixer said , would clean after a stalk if you wish but wouldn't clean then stalk as your point of impact possible could change until the barrel has fouled again to the point when you zeroed it .
Patch it after a wet days stalking then clean it when your point of impact changes . you could find it needs fifty rounds before the point of impact change's and this then would possible would not be noticed at normal stalking distances .

As an occasional sporting rifle user, my practice is to set out stalking with a clean rifle. I therefore clean semi-thoroughly using bore-foam and patches between 5rnd test batches on the range, and when I go out to stalk the barrel is likewise clean.
I know, however, that my rifles shoot to point-of-aim from clean. That isn't true of all rifles, so if yours doesn't, then I suppose you'd be better of leaving it a bit grubby.

Back