Ageing Red Hinds

Black Islander

Have seen lots of threads regarding selecting old Hinds from a group. Can any of the more experienced members post a few pictures of groups of hinds and point out the ones that they would select to be culled out of that group based on age.

Good idea, I don't have any pics to hand.

Look for

Wiry coats

Droopy backs [like an old horse]

Long nose [horsey ish]

Thin neck / big head

hard to explain, pictures would be good

Above all good - long nose is a good one. I kept a record of this against sectioned teeth many years back and they correlate

It's a great idea to try and collect photos like this. When we have enough perhaps we could put them together into an article for the front page of the site?

I've just had a quick look and it's not easy finding images of deer in profile. 99% of them are looking straight at the camera! Here are a few showing the change of head shape as they age, the nasal ridge becoming elongated and concave and the slight slump in the back. I'm sure there are some better photos out there somewhere, hopefully someone will post them up.

younghind.jpgmiddlehind.jpgolderhind.jpg

Alex

Above all good - long nose is a good one. I kept a record of this against sectioned teeth many years back and they correlate

When I worked for the old RDC we aged a lot of deer for estates, they would bring in a heap of jaws at the end of the season[not always boiled I may add!!!]. as well as ageing from tooth erosion we would mesure the jaw, this would correlate directly with skeleton length and along with weight records would give you a good indication of deer health.
This was pre computer, so we just didn'y have the time to do much with all the data we collected.

I think this might be what you mean.

DSC01051.jpg

Back