Wonky Leica Geovids

KB1

I have a pair of Leica Geovid HDB's, the new version. Great piece of kit but the range finder display details are not horizontal when looking through the Binos, they are slightly at an angle. I can still use them but p* off that £2k worth of equipment is not perfect, which it should be. I've sent a mail to Leica customer service to get their view, having to send them back will be a pain, if they agree to.
Anyone else have any problem with Range Finders and displays or is a slightly wonky display definitely not the norm.

thanks

Actually, I've just answered this myself, well, my wife has. She took a look through it and said 'you prat, their wonky because you have them fully extended'. When they are in the fully closed position the display is straight.
That said, I would have expected them to remain straight, whatever position you extended them to.
Nicht gute in my view....

Blaire,
Your posted started me thinking, I have a pair of the older 10 x 42 Geovids and I can remember thinking in the past that the square and the reading was slightly askew. I put it down to my overly anal need for everything to be perfect, and dismissed it.
I have to say they haven't missed a beat, and my only fault with them was the objective lens rubber caps breaking. Leica sorted that out FOC, but on the back of your post I will check again.
Looking forward to hearing your response from Leica.

Edit, I was typing same time as you, it sometimes takes a woman's touch to get it sorted. good news.

Last edited:
Someone is going to tell me that the Swaro RFs do not have at problem, after I deliberated for days over which one to pick.....

Will let u know what Leica says

Blaire,
Your posted started me thinking, I have a pair of the older 10 x 42 Geovids and I can remember thinking in the past that the square and the reading was slightly askew. I put it down to my overly anal need for everything to be perfect, and dismissed it.
I have to say they haven't missed a beat, and my only fault with them was the objective lens rubber caps breaking. Leica sorted that out FOC, but on the back of your post I will check again.

I bought a pair a couple of months ago and yes depending on where you extend them will be the difference between wonky and not. I still havent bothered with the memory card function...

Actually, I've just answered this myself, well, my wife has. She took a look through it and said 'you prat, their wonky because you have them fully extended'. When they are in the fully closed position the display is straight.
That said, I would have expected them to remain straight, whatever position you extended them to.
Nicht gute in my view....

Don't feel bad. I did exactly the same thing when I got my older geovids. My mate looked through them and called me a dopey f**ker. :oops:

Very good binos.

Yorkie.

Nope same with Swaros. It's a matter of the angle between the barrels which is dependant on your inter pupillary distance.

I know what u mean re the memory function. Am sure they are very useful, when I eventually find the time to go through it. Anyway, I'm too busy checking angle of inclination, temperature, ballistic curve and atmospheric pressure - by which time the deer has probably eaten loads, taken a nap in the open and then slowly strolled off to another field....

I bought a pair a couple of months ago and yes depending on where you extend them will be the difference between wonky and not. I still havent bothered with the memory card function...

online from the bino store. Risky or stupid enough as I was, I took a chance with this website, as they are based in Italy and all their gear was cheaper than I could find over here. Binos were, at the time, a few hundred quid less.
But they arrived on time and in perfect nic......bar the wonky screen

You spent £2k on bimbos and didn't look through them first??

K

‎Found the non horizontal display when in use similarly frustrating when comparing with the older 8x56 rf model in Leica's Mayfair boutique.

I wonder how long before you will be able to range a beast through Leica binoculars then press a second button that will auto calibrate your Leica scope's reticle for that range care of a wireless signal??

K

‎Found the non horizontal display when in use similarly frustrating when comparing with the older 8x56 rf model in Leica's Mayfair boutique.

I wonder how long before you will be able to range a beast through Leica binoculars then press a second button that will auto calibrate your Leica scope's reticle for that range care of a wireless signal??

K
And re load for you after the first shot?:D

K

Sometimes I wonder how anyone used to take deer without all this technology.

Reply from Leica below re the Binos. Guess they haven't mastered maintaining the horizontal displays whilst folding ze bridge. Will have to wait for the HD-C version to come out.

the position of the figures in the display alter due to the angle you‘ll folder the (adjustment) bridge of your glass. This is according to construction correct and cannot be avoided. An adjustment is not necessary and not possible. May I ask for your kind understanding. Hoping this information will be helpful. Enjoy your glasses

Blaire,

Edit, I was typing same time as you, it sometimes takes a woman's touch to get it sorted. good news.

Its perfectly normal.. the only way to get round it would be to have a system where the display automatically sensed horizontal and rotated to stay level.. I will sy though it was much less noticeable in my Zeiss than my Leicas, partly because the targeting reticule is round rather than square (ish) but also because it looks Zeiss were sensible and set the display horizontal when the binos were set to an average inter pupillary distance (although it could also have something to do with where the prisms are and their orientation... the Leicas use a completely different prism system to other manufacturers))... I also prefer Zeiss' system activation sequence, I.e. press to activate, release to get a number rather than the 2 press system with the Leicas ((Zeiss' bugttons are better too... I keep hitting the settings button on the Leicas).. Overall though, the Leicas are better both optically (The Zeiss had lots of edge distortion) and technologically)

I agree though, annoying but you just get used to it... at the end of the day, when I press the button I'm more interested in what I'm ranging... I just want a number, I'm not really concerned what angle the number is at as long as it is readable..

Last edited:
I guess the could have positioned it to be somewhere near horizontal when in use by the average user. After all most humane eyes are similarly spaced. Unless you're a Politician.

K

Back