Do I need to clean moderater.

Woodlander

I have an ASE Ultra Northstar mod fitted to a Tikka .222. I have heard that they don't need cleaning,is that correct? They must collect a buildup of carbon,do you just bin them after so many rounds,or is there a method to clean them. Thanks

I have the S5 and I spray a wee bit of Wd40 into it and roll it about then let it stand and drain out. They say you don't have to but it can't do any harm

Al

The build up in the moderator can cause issues.
It can detach from within the moderator and block the bore.
Also you have a possibility if the moderator remains on the rifle, some of that build up can enter the barrel .

I just give it a tap to dislodge anything and just pull a snake thru it befour and after use

I have an ASE Ultra Northstar mod fitted to a Tikka .222. I have heard that they don't need cleaning,is that correct? They must collect a buildup of carbon,do you just bin them after so many rounds,or is there a method to clean them. Thanks

I reckon the Northstars would be good for years of use, they're built like a brick dunny. I spray mine each time I've shot it inside with WD40 both ends, drain and clean outside with oily rag. Clean the threads on barrel and crown. I don't fire that many shots compared with most but have never noticed any build up by doing this regularly.

there is no real build up in these mods unless you use them for rimfires, WD40 in each end after each trip keeps them clean and corrosion free

Do make sure you drain the WD40 out tho' You don't want it draining out into the barrel & taking crud with it - potential for damage & bad grouping there! -- if you don't drain it thoroughly, you will get lots of blue smoke for a few shots next time out.

Ian

Just yesterday everyone else was out so I thought I'd have a break & do some dry firing practise. Got everything out & started to assemble everything; picked up the ase jet-z compact to attach it & felt something move in it. I rolled it around & sure enough there were a few dislodged bits of hard carbon/coke/whatever & the biggest bit was about the size of 1/4 of a .22 sub bullet.

I'm sure that this would be big enough to potentially do some very serious damage. I always remove the mod as soon as I get back to the car & spray with oil & drain every time it's out but I'll be checking & tapping the mod a lot more often now!

Is there something I should (or shouldn't) be doing to prevent this happening again?

I think the ase ultra jet z (I have one) is built for fully automatic fire.
That being the case all I reckon that needs done is... dried,shaken,nothing rattling,wee squirt of wd, rolled about to distribute the wd, stood on end in cabinet to drain,finish.
Don't like strippable mods barring rimfire ones,there's enough to fiddle with and clean.

+1 just use wd40 and put on rad to dry it out the only mod i'v ever had to clean was the 17hmr , i do have a quick look but that's about it, rust can be the down fall of the metal mods . if it rattles then there's rust lose inside another reason i use hardy gen . my t8 gets the treatment but as its has a very low round count there is't a problem with gas's or build up of crud.

Back