BDS Humane Animal Despatch Course

Jimdob

Has anyone completed the BDS Humane Animal Despatch Course? I am thinking of taking the course in 2015 when they release their dates but not sure what people thought of the course.
Opinions Appreciated!

Thanks Jim :)

I attended the BDS course earlier this year at Cirencester. It was pretty good, though it was mostly theory rather than practice.

The presentation style and delivery could be greatly improved. The days of a course being comprised of simply giving someone a deck of PowerPoint slides and expecting them to read them out should be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Has anyone completed the BDS Humane Animal Despatch Course? I am thinking of taking the course in 2015 when they release their dates but not sure what people thought of the course.
Opinions Appreciated!

Thanks Jim :)

Hi Jim

Jelen runs a humane dispatch course, which will give you the important legal and practical background to the activity, as well as a hands on range session to demonstrate the effectiveness of different firearms at different ranges with different ammunition.

It will give you a Lantra certificate of training if you are successful .... I am not sure how valuable a certificate of attendance for a course actually is!

Next course at the Jelen Hampshire HQ is the 21st of Feb .... I am one of the course instructors so perhaps I will see you there?

regards

Tony

I put my name down for this early this year. I was advised that they would be holding courses nationwide, and that I would hear about the Scottish course shortly. Still waiting.......:(

+1 on jelens course, I did it at calton moor range earlier this year, good training manual with important contact details and lively discussions on various scenarios of road traffic accidents, also you could try the different weapons to be used, also there point of aim surprised everyone at close range got lantra certificate on completion :thumb:

Would anyone who has or has not been on a humane despatch course say what they carry in the car in the event of a deer rta to despatch the deer ?.

ps.. I mean routinely carry as part of a car kit.

Last edited:
lochty, the course is Scotland hasn't taken off yet with either provider because Police Scotland have NO official policy in place to use 'stalkers' in responding to road side or other welfare related call outs. Over the border there's a different system in place which gives the person doing the course a bit of credibility if they want to do this.

Would anyone who has or has not been on a humane despatch course say what they carry in the car in the event of a deer rta to despatch the deer ?.

ps.. I mean routinely carry as part of a car kit.

Frost Mora in the first aid kit of both our cars. No arguments please about whether I have 'good reason' etc. They are not in the glove box or door pocket, they are zipped away inside comprehensive first aid kits. I have used them a number of times both when called on by the Police whilst I am already out and when I have simply come across RTC deer by chance.

+1 on jelens course, I did it at calton moor range earlier this year, good training manual with important contact details and lively discussions on various scenarios of road traffic accidents, also you could try the different weapons to be used, also there point of aim surprised everyone at close range got lantra certificate on completion :thumb:

where was there point of aim?......

We used a range of head and full body profile targets and were demonstrating the use of .410 and 12 bore shot guns and .410 shot pistols using different shot sizes at different distances.

Tony

what was the result,which was most effective?.......12/.410 birdshot by any chance??

the most effective tool for the job in most situations where there's an immobile animal is an out of the cabinet shotgun for most and standard shot. Knife, great if you have the skill and it is safe to do so but that's not always the case.

the most effective tool for the job in most situations where there's an immobile animal is an out of the cabinet shotgun for most and standard shot. Knife, great if you have the skill and it is safe to do so but that's not always the case.
i am with Paul on this one,
all the RTA's I have done over the years the shotgun has done 98% of them.
i always take a rifle just in case there's is something you can't get near to dispatch at close quarters.

Tony

HADs course

12th April at Cirencester contact BDS HQ for details.

There is a captive bolt and pithing stick in my vehicle most of the time.

Last edited:
Back