Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A mixed bag over HPR's

A mixed bag over HPR's

Just a quick write up, as I spent a very enjoyable day shooting over a fellow members HPR's on Friday, a cracking day which started with a woodcock and duck flight, resulting in a drake mallard, not a bad start to the day.....
    next up were a brace of squirrels who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.....
    a bit later on I winged a woodcock which then got back in the air and was taken by my host, and shortly after that I downed species number 4 for the day, a hen pheasant.
    A tricky walk over some very boggy marsh saw a plethora of snipe rise, most well out of range for the guns unfortunately, but on our second pass of the bog, returning to our starting point, without warning a snipe got up and crossed fast from right to left. Instinct took over and it was downed with the first barrel......I was made up, my first ever snipe!
    a breather for lunch and then back out, and within minutes we flushed 2 woodcock, the second of which fell to my gun, brilliant! closely followed by a hen pheasant which got up from just at my feet.....this as turning into quite a decent bag for 2 guns working unstocked wild ground.
    between us by the end of the day we had 4 woodcock, a brace of snipe, a mallard, two pheasants and 2 squirrels....... And we'd worked our socks off for them all.
    i slept well that night.
    Attachment 50345Attachment 50346
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Those are the best days .Well done

This is the best way to shoot game. Driven days are more social but with a rough shoot its what you may get. If i had the choice i would go on a rough shoot any day.

That's fantastic, I would love to do that. I must try and sort something like that out for my friends and I next season. Driven shooting is fun but it just doesn't feel right.

Sounds like a grand day out, I hope to have a few similar days when I finish work for Christmas next week!

Lets get the type of HPR's named- Large Munsterlanders!!

Was thoroughly enjoyable sport, always enjoy working my dogs like this, as they should be, and a proper mixed bag taken that we worked for.

Give me that over a 200 bird driven day every time, sounded a guid day, nice dog work and a mixed bag disnae get any better

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Give me that over a 200 bird driven day every time, sounded a guid day, nice dog work and a mixed bag disnae get any better

Massive +1

It doesn't get any better, it beats driven game anyday. You earnt your bag, I bet it feels rewarding.

Thumbs up

Great stuff. sounds like some ripper dogs.