Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car/estate/van.

Looking for a vehicle to keep the miles low on my Defender. Must do 30+mpg and be able to carry 3 Chesapeakes. 5,000 max.
    I'm flexible but not after any rubbish..

Why bother ?

Defenders with 8 million miles on them are still worth 250,000 pounds to some lunatic somewhere.

Not worth worrying about in my opinion.

Theres a 1/4 million miler on here just now for the thick end of 7k !! ffs. and he`ll get it as well, so I shouldn`t worry too much about a van.

Just my tuppenceworth likes

I'm looking for a bit of comfort and economy and ability to go more than 50 miles without an overnight stay. All of which the great British Icon is not famous for.

Great British Icon = Dinosaur maybe??? - best kept in a museum maybe??

RD look for an old Merc estate - lots of them about & some have a diff lock to get you off the grass.

Yip, my local publican bought a Mercedes E class diesel and it has a bigger overhang than JLo.
    As for Defenders they are the best tool for the job but refinement is not a standard feature?

I'd consider a Volvo V70, plenty space, reasonable refinement. I get 40-47mpg on my 8 year old 133K one.

Vans are to be avoided I think as they have to "work" for a living and get thrashed all the time.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Road tax on vans is stupid expensive! - I was going to get a small one but it just wasn't worth it as I can't claim it against a company tax bill. - Ok for those in business.

i run a passat estate 130 to do the miles the 110 defender is for towing & shooting only, stalking trips in the vw give me 56mpg to perth from st asaph better than 24 for the 110

Red Dot did I ask you for directions to a bit of ground just out side of Stirling the other day by any chance .You where in a Defender in Aldi's car park