Deleted by User

Hi Pete

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a good flat ground carbon steel knife without going custom. Frosts of Mora do the Clipper knife in carbon but most people are lazy and want stainless. A bit like s/s black plastic rifles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

A flat ground knife(single bevel edge) would surely be of little use to a stalker, as they are designed mainly for wood not meat. Hit a bone and the edge is ruined immediatley

A blade that is to be used for gutting and general butchery should have a back bevel, as this keeps more metal behind the edge.

I have handmade knife that is flat ground and its sharpens very easily and cuts through wood and skin very well, but nick a bone and the edge needs re doing.

A convex blade would also be useful, but very awkward to sharpen as time goes on.
Stick with the Fjallkniven, is my advice, or speak to Shing on the British Blades forum, but his stuff kicks out at around £140. Hand made and gorgeous. How deep are your pockets and what price do you put on your knife. To me it's as important as my rifle

go for a Frosts Mora in a carbon steel blade with the non slip handle (£10 -£14) i have found this a great knife that holds it 's edge very well.

on my last outing i full gralloched 3 deer before it needed a quick field sharpen.

once home the knife will get a full sharpen inc a lick over on the leather stroop and it comes up like a razor. ...neil

I have a Helle Wind Scandinavian style knife-wow what a piece of kit. It is an absolute razor, and I dont have to sharpen it until 4 or 5 grallochs, plus it has a lovely curly Birch handle. Not sure of the blade, but I suspect it is a good stainless.

I have had dozens of Knifes over the years but stuck with this one. My brother has the same one and it is still going strong desite some real abuse! Think it was £56-hardly cheap but worth every penny imo.

JH

Puma knives use a very soft steal I ahve one and if it touches bone the edge is lost. On the plus side you can put an edge on them really quickly.

Just bought a Hella knife and am very impressed managed to get 6 Gralloch out of it before I sharpend it not that it needed sharpening or anything.

Blade it self is made up of a core of high carbon steal with a rockwell hardness of aroudn 59 which isn't that far off D2 steal, the carbon core is flanked by two pieces of stainless steal. Is relatively cheap and very good, handle is virtually non slip.

Definatly worth a look.

A knife is a personal thing - gut hooks are a waste of time IMHO. I like a drop point with plenty of curve on the blade and knife of choice is now a Buck Alpha, with rubber gribs - non folding without a guthook.

Very pleased with it - sharp and delicate enough for intricate skinning, but with enough weight that it can easily chop through the rib cage.

I also always carry my leatherman - not so much for its cutting blade, but for all the other tools.

And you can't go wrong with Opinals - easily sharpened and I find my small fish filleting knife very useful - particularly for cutting out the fillets and taking breast meat off ducks. But I don't liek them when gralloching as the handle gets wet and slippery and easy for hand to slip forwards and you cut yourself.

griffshrek said:
go for a Frosts Mora in a carbon steel blade with the non slip handle (£10 -£14) i have found this a great knife that holds it 's edge very well.

on my last outing i full gralloched 3 deer before it needed a quick field sharpen.

once home the knife will get a full sharpen inc a lick over on the leather stroop and it comes up like a razor. ...neil

Plastic handle & sheath (so hygienic & dishwasher friendly), non slip, brightly coloured handle so you don't lose it - and at 2 for a tenner from various Game Fair stands you don't spend the day in tears if you do. You can't go wrong with a Clipper or something like it.

Stick with your Fallkniven...I can vouch that an H1 doesn't dull when it touches bone...at least not my finger bone! Went through my finger like lentils through a hippie.

Frosts Mora are a cracking little knife for the money, and will come up to razor sharp in no time if put on a whet stone. However as I mentioned before it has a single bevel edge and really is designed for wood. That said ,it will certainly gralloch for a while up until the edge gives.

Shame about the horrible plastic sheath, although you can buy leather ones on ebay for around £20

I have one and its great. just chuck it away when its knackered, and that could take years

The problem with the plastic sheath is that it soon starts to fatigue, and horrid white lines appear in the plastic belt loop attachment. Its far too flimsy and that is eally a shame, but that said it's still a great deal for around a tenner.
Would be fine if kept in a bag or rucksake tho, and as Pete pointed out pleases the hygiene guys.

Has anyone yet heeded the guidlines and thrown away their prize pigsticker because it has a leather sheath

Answers on a post card

Back