Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What has SD ever done for me?

What has SD ever done for me?

To paraphrase the Life of Brian and 'what have the Romans ever done for us?'

1) Helped me no end with searchable expertise prior to taking the DSC1
    2) Been a real mine of helpful advice, freely given
    3) Provided practical, specific info of things you dont find out in DSC1 eg 'how to stay dry', or 'what to take' when stalking
    4) Confused the hell out of me regarding best calibre, rifle manufacturer, trousers (sorry those are clearly Harkila) etc, etc
    5) Set me wondering when, or if ever, I'll go over to the 'dark side'
    6) Made me question why intelligent people would put fruit of any description in perfectly good whisky
    7) Given me a healthy respect and admiration for good forum moderators
    8) Given me a place to maintain my interest when deskbound on a crap Monday at work!
    9) .....

CanI take the opportunity to give the Mods a thumbs up for a fantastic job of maintaining this site and all those who contribute for their wisdom, humour and now and again the odd rant.

May the festive season pass painlessly and health, wealth and happiness to all at SD for 2015.

I can resist everything, except temptation.

In my case, it has provided me with almost all of my stalking opportunities, both paid and unpaid, additional offers of sport that I mostly haven't been able to accept, but some memorable ones are in the offing, a full reloading setup and much of the expertise enabling me to use it. But most of all, without the SD I would still not have anyone to share my passion with, given that I remain the sole stalker amongst my friends and family. Given that I derive much of the pleasure of fieldsports from sharing stories, not having anyone around who's interested is very discouraging. So thank you all very much indeed. Even those who don't like my thread titles.

It just occurred to me that I should add that I have also met quite a few great people from the SD In Real Life as they say on social media, some of whom live nearby to me and regularly provide me with lifts and company. I would never have met any of you guys otherwise. Well, perhaps except for Scrumbag.

Long may it continue!
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 15-12-2014 at 12:52.

It's provided me with an alternative to Coronation Street, East Enders, Emmerdale, Strictly, Celebrity Jungle and that Essex fake tan and no socks *****
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

For me a fantastic flat pack shooting table (thanks Dorsettaff) much amusement good sound advice and some real bargains of the classified.
    What makes SD stand out for me are the members some I have had the privilege to meet, there generosity and unselfish actions acutely restore ones faith in human nature.

It provided me an insight into your stalking sub-culture and proved false the common belief in the US that Brits can't own guns, Brits don't hunt (well, except for the Landed Nobility and their guests).

We have such a guns and hunting freedom culture that if we don't see it openly professed and conducted, then it probably does not exist. I have now had two hunting trips to the UK, learned loads, and have a much more balanced view. I would never trade our open culture for yours, but there are aspects of your system that clearly are far superior to ours (common use of moderators, standards of game meat care, etc...).

Have also made a few friends here, and ignited a desire to come back and stalk as often as I can afford on working man's budget (its the airfare and jet lag that make the system difficult - if only I had my own private LearJet)

My first deer, for free, my second deer, for free, numerous classified ad bargains, (including my dog, my binoculars and my first rifle (coming soon!)), my DSC1, for free (as soon as I manage to book one that isn't cancelled!) my first paid stalking outing and subsequent free return trips (still no succhess)
    Lots of help and advice from some top blokes, and a lifelong obsession for my wife to put up with.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY

found good stalking ,meeting like minded lads ,dsc, knowledge, other shooting opportunities list go's on, found kit , sold kit, and given kit away all too and from a good bunch of guys.

I have met a few good frends via the sd. Some good advice and a good chuckle at times.

Merry Christmas to all when it comes.

Regards kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

i ended up on a hunt in africa because of the SD! got my dsc1 after reading about it on here.

Entertainment, banter, bit of trading.