30-06

shot a muntie with a 180 grn other day(was after fallow but saw muntie on way back) exit hole was not much bigger than my 243.only shot fallow apart from that and not much damage at all but seems to drop them a little better

3006 has been my favourite caliber for as long as I have been stalking have shot reds, roe, sika, fallow, red/sika hybrid all with 150gn all with very little damage and all very dead

I have hunted everything from prairiedogs and wild turkey to Elk with the 30-06. It's a do-all caliber with unlimited bullet choices and load variations. ~Muir

IMHO it is the same as the .308 Win, takes exactly the same bullet with the same velocities but with a longer bolt throw. The only advantage the 30/06 has over the .308 is its ability to take a 220gn bullet which is really only neccesary for African game or big bears.
Matt

I shot 2 Munties with mine a couple of weeks ago using Winchester 180 grain Silvertips which it states on the box are suitable for Brown Bear and Elk!:eek:
It absolutely flattened them with one hell of a thump! To my surprise though, there was far less meat damage than if I had shot them with my 25.06 using 100 grain BT's. Bigger, slower bullet with more penetrative qualities than expansion! Lovely calibre to shoot.;)

Actually the .308 can be loaded faster than the 06 with the 150gn bullet due to it being a more 'efficient' round.
Matt

I've had a 30.06 for few months now and in my opinion its far more effective on roe than my .243 is, damage to meat is simular but but doesn't seem to cause the bruising that comes with the smaller faster bullets,certainly has more of a knock down effect as well.If you home load its got to be one of the most versatile calibers out there,can certainly top the .308 in velocity if you need it to and will handle bullets up to 250gns,i use a moderate load and no moderator and can still hold the sight picture fine,the mutz nuts as far as i'm concerned.
Neil

The Hornady Light-Magnum load in .308 150gn will beat the standard loading of 150gn in 30/06, not by much and the animal would not notice but it is slightly higher. I have also found it easier to acheive higher velocities out of shorter barrels with the .308 than the 30/06 I guess due to the better efficiency. I'm not knocking the 30/06 I think it is a superb well rounded cartridge but I prefer the shorter action and lighter weight rifle that this brings. The 220 gn bullet aside they are ballistic twins.
Matt

6.6lbs scoped with sling and unloaded mags x2 (also with bipod but it is a Steyr Scout).
Matt

These are both great cartridges. I am lucky enough to own a couple of each. My main 30 cal deer hunting rifle is a .308. I've found that when bullet weights pass 165 grains the 30-06 hold the decided edge but for anything lighter, there is little difference. ~Muir

Sikadog, I'll always have a soft-spot for the 30/06 and would not rule out owning another, but it is probably more the .30 cal I like. Good velocity without going 'hyper' or 'Magnum' and an increased frontal area over the smaller bores like the 6mm's and their ilk. If I could get my Scout in a 30/06 I probably would.
Matt

30-06 does everthing it says on the box.
I always say I wont reply to this old chestnut, but I just can`t help it.:rolleyes:
I wouldn`t change my 30-06 for anything.
It`s not a flash bang, whizz bang,burn your barrell out newcomer,it`s been around abit and it stood the test of time.
And I`m sure someone will say 308 got less recoil,:doh: well if a 30 cal presents a recoil problem, get a 22.
Short range or long, the 30-06 does it well.
I used to worry what would I do when mine was wore out,sad I know:oops:but no probs, I think Samuel will just have to buy another:lol: as my rifle will probably outlast me.

30-06 does everthing it says on the box.
I always say I wont reply to this old chestnut, but I just can`t help it.:rolleyes:
I wouldn`t change my 30-06 for anything.
It`s not a flash bang, whizz bang,burn your barrell out newcomer,it`s been around abit and it stood the test of time.
And I`m sure someone will say 308 got less recoil,:doh: well if a 30 cal presents a recoil problem, get a 22.
Short range or long, the 30-06 does it well.
I used to worry what would I do when mine was wore out,sad I know:oops:but no probs, I think Samuel will just have to buy another:lol: as my rifle will probably outlast me.

Well put!
Don't worry. I have a couple of 30-06's that date from the 1930's and 40's. One was used in National Match shooting for many years. The accuracy is still there.~Muir

Warning: ramble alert.

My pal Hal was planning to visit from Colorado. "I'm going to bring you a rifle."
"Hal, that's very kind, but I already have one."
'I'm going to bring you a 30-06.'
'Hal, it doesn't work that way here. I need to have permission to acquire one.'
'Get permission. I'm bringing it with me. A Remington 700 OK?'
And so Hall duly arrives on the doorstep, with a rifle flight case in his hand (and a car-load of holiday luggage, but that's another story...)
Hal, handing over the case: 'Your rifle.'
Me: 'Er thanks. Why exactly did I want a 30-06?'
'Because you only need one gun and this is all the caliber you'll ever need.'

And do you know, he's been proved right? I parked the 308 in my safe and shot and reloaded for the Remington for some nine years. Over that time, it worked its way into my affections and become almost an extension of will, such is the confidence born of familiarity with the way the rounds behave. I have recently had the action blueprinted and attached to a Walther barrel chambered in 30-06 AI - not because of dissatisfaction with the standard chambering, but just because I could, without a variation.

I have no yen to change the 30-06 for anything else. Mine has shot everything from foxes and muntjac to fat West Berks fallow bucks and I'd bank the humane knock-down power and lack of meat damage against any other calibre I've either shot myself or seen others use.

IMHO there's a lot of hoo-ha talked about different calibres. When I was shooting competitively, an old boy told me: 'Beware the man with one gun. He's the one you have to beat.' My view these days - informed by my initially skeptical introduction to 30-06 and by my subsequent conversion to it - is stick with what works for you. The old boy was right.

Ramble over.

Back