Shooting a RH Anschutz Thumbhole Left Handed?

a1baz

I'm left handed but right eye dominant so usually shoot right handed but am more than comfortable shooting left handed as well. I'm thinking of getting an Anschutz 1517 and think I prefer the thumbhole stock due to the elevated cheek weld. I would get a right handed version but occasionally end up shooting out of the car passenger window, meaning I have to shoot left handed.

I'm sure other people must have experienced this and just wondering how awkward it is to get your hand in.

I'd be more worried about decent cheekweld on that edge. I'd go for a more ambi stock if you want to shoot off both shoulders

Not really worried about cheek weld, I've never managed to get that comfortable sat in the car. It's only once in a blue moon that I shoot left handed.

I owed a Anschutz thumbhole for many years. Likewise I used to shoot it left handed sometimes from the truck.
It is possible, but not very comfortable....

I have a L/H Anschutz XIV and use it as an object lesson for right-handed shooters who claim that it doesn't matter which way a gun is oriented as it is both awkward and uncomfortable to shoot from the right shoulder thanks to the grip shape and the sharp edge of the cheek-piece (the latter will leave a red pressure line on the shooter's face in seconds).

As ever, have a hold of one before you buy one, but I'd very much recommend going for the classic stock shape if you plan to shoot from either shoulder.

I'm a leftie and have no problems with the comb of right handed shotguns, or bolts and cartridges trying to bash my nose. Even the ridges of right handed stocks on rifles don't overly bother me. Thumbhole stocks however are the red card, simply can't get on with them at all. Too awkward and unnatural to hold.

Last edited:
Become truly left handed

You know it makes sense!

Adrian (left handed since being dropped on my head at birth)

I shoot a l/h thumbhole Anschutz 22lr from left shoulder, my son shoots it from rt shoulder. I sanded the comb to lose sharp edge and it fine to shoot from either shoulder.

I shoot a l/h thumbhole Anschutz 22lr from left shoulder, my son shoots it from rt shoulder. I sanded the comb to lose sharp edge and it fine to shoot from either shoulder.

Thanks for the info, I was considering that. Might eventually go for a 22 with the thumbhole.

Back