European Grand Slam of all "WILD" hoofed game.

270Buck

To coin an American saying, what would be considered to be a European Grand Slam of all the "WILD" hoofed game?

This is the list as I would envisage. Some questionable species on the list, but I have included nonetheless.

I am sure I will have missed some other species off the list, please add to the post for any I have not included.

• Muntjac
  • Chinese Water Deer
  • Roe Deer
  • Fallow Deer
  • Sika Deer
  • Red Deer
  • Wild Goat
  • Soay Sheep
  • Wild boar
  • Mouflon
  • Chamois
  • Beceite Ibex
  • Gredos Ibex
  • South Eastern Ibex
  • Rhonda Ibex
  • Aoudad Sheep
  • Balearian boc
  • Alpine Ibex
  • Bezoar Ibex
  • Moose
  • Whitetail deer
  • Reindeer/Caribou
  • European bison/Wisent
  • Kri Kri Ibex

My next question is, has anyone shot all of them? Or know anyone that has?

I up to 9 of the 24 I have listed, hopefully to be adding the 10th in February!!

Never knew there was so many ibex Ross
norma

Some of them are questionable as different species.

Some say the Beceite and Gredos Ibex have pretty much the same genetics, same goes for the Rhonda and South Eastern, just regional differences in horn shape. There are many outfitters that sell them as separate species.

They are certainly listed as different sub species on the Wild Sheep website.

Grand Slam Club / Ovis :: Goats, Tahr, and Capra

Last edited:
Id like to get a moose that's for sure ! As for ibex I'll make do with Colin's goats for now :lol:
norma

Last edited:
How about all the chamois?
Pyrenean chamois - Spain and France
Cantabrian chamois - Spain
Alpine chamois - Alps
Carpathian chamois - Romania
Balkan chamois - Balkans
Caucasian chamois - Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan
Anatolian chamois - Turkey (technically in Asia?)
Low Tatra (hybrid) chamois - Slovakia
Chartreuse Chamois - France

and if the Caucasus counts as the border between Europe and Asia then there are the various Tur as well; possibly the konya and armenian mouflon too

I have had a few of them.
Muntjac, CWD, Roe, Fallow, Sika, Sika/Red Hybrids, Reds, Wild-goats, Moose, Austrian Chamois, and the Swedish Beaver. [ Not a hoofed beastie but still a trophy animal there.]

HWH.

How about all the chamois?
Pyrenean chamois - Spain and France
Cantabrian chamois - Spain
Alpine chamois - Alps
Carpathian chamois - Romania
Balkan chamois - Balkans
Caucasian chamois - Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan
Anatolian chamois - Turkey (technically in Asia?)
Low Tatra (hybrid) chamois - Slovakia
Chartreuse Chamois - France

I agree the different sub species of chamois certainly does throw a few more in the mix!!!

I always thought Turkey as part of Europe, mainly due to them being part of European football competitions. But it seems that 97% is classed as Asia whereas the remaining 3% is Europe. Looking at the distribution of bezoar, they seem to be in the Asian part of the country, so maybe the Bezoar should not be included?

and if the Caucasus counts as the border between Europe and Asia then there are the various Tur as well; possibly the konya and armenian mouflon too

Caucasus also is a grey area, is it truly part of Europe? Or seemingly in no mans land between Europe and Asia?

Depends how far you want to go with the splitting up of the groups into different subspecies.......even Roe could be categorised into different groups.
I would have thought that you could class "Ibex" as a single entry to the "Grand Slam" general list and then you could do the "Ibex Grand Slam" list separately if you had time. :lol:

If you're going to split the ibex into subspecies, why not the red deer?

Reindeer?

Sharkey

Reindeer on my original list :thumb:

The red deer subspecies in my mind are all still technically red deer.

With regards to the ibex, I agree there are some sub species that look to be similar in size, pelage and horn construction. They are still recognised as different species in most cases.

Depends how far you want to go with the splitting up of the groups into different subspecies.......even Roe could be categorised into different groups.
I would have thought that you could class "Ibex" as a single entry to the "Grand Slam" general list and then you could do the "Ibex Grand Slam" list separately if you had time. :lol:

I agree, another one to add to the list is...........

• The black roe deer

I agree, another one to add to the list is...........

• The black roe deer
I was thinking also of the Capreolus capreolus garganta of southern Spain also the C.c italicus of southern Italy
and how about Musk-ox? can you hunt them in Europe?

Last edited:
Bison.

And, to be really controversial (you did say wild hoofed...)

Prezswalski's horse.

And, if you stretch the definition of Europe to include all countries that sing in Eurovision, then I imagine you can start to think about some of the antelopes (Saiga maybe?).

Back