highseat shooting rail height ????

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

Now i know everyone will have a different peference on this one but what height from the seat base to the shooting rail suits you on highseats ?????

ATB

Dave

Tim.243 put up a similar and interesting thread on this a short while ago. Inexplicably, he only had one reply so perhaps best not expect too much 223. Sorry I can't comment, I'm yet to sit in one, both from an opportunity perspective, but also because of a firm preference for walking/stalking.

It's a daft question really as it relates to individual height mainly among other factors. Terrain and distance you expect to shoot deer at as well as the height of the seat itself. Make it adjustable if you can and then the seat can be used anywhere.
MS

ok flat field, and if you had to set a height from seat to rail what would you plump for i think 20 inches

ok flat field, and if you had to set a height from seat to rail what would you plump for i think 20 inches

Are you only thinking to the front?
What about a right handed shooter off the right hand rail, it would be a different height than the left rail....
No simple/correct answer, you just have to adapt.
If you plan on building your own then it's easy to plan on the ground before you start to work out the verticals.
My experience us that you just follow the plan and don't try and customise too much.

Stan

The distance when sat on a chair between your arse and your armpit would be about right I reckon. At 5' 9" that would make mine about 22".
Why not sit on a chair and mount your rifle using sticks or just a piece of wood and then mark where you think is best. Measure distance between the two and maybe take and inch off for the height of the seat (look down angle) and you will not be far off.
MS

With a bit of thinking about why not make it adjustable with a range of about + - 6" from a comfortable centre height. It could still be a solid shooting platform and provide flexibility for terrain, range or different users
Wingy

When I made a load of steel seats I did armpit height and distance out I could just grip the rail with my back pressed hard against the backrest. Seems to work for me.

Hi Guys

Now i know everyone will have a different peference on this one but what height from the seat base to the shooting rail suits you on highseats ?????

ATB

Dave

I have found most of them too low, so the ones I have made have vertical adjustment in them. Also the front bar is made from a rolled piece of tube to give the left(me)/right hander 200' + arc of shooting.

One thing I have found in all shooting is you must be comfortable before you take the shot...

I sat on a bench and made up the height for my feet to rest on, then sorted the height I wanted giving me a measurement from seat to front bar....

Tim.243

there is a picture of a high seat in my gallery with the dimentions. These work well as fits most high seats.

Last edited:
Just checked my high seat designs dimensions for you. I can remember going to considerable effort to work all this out when I built my 1st seat and it took some time to get perfect.from front to back the seat it is 600 deep then the arm rail protrudes by a further 300 to gun rail giving you a gun rail set at 900 from the back rest. The seat is 600 wide and the gun rest is set at 475 high from the seat. I used to design and make prototype chairs for the domestic and contract furniture market so have a bit of knowledge regarding seating ergonomics.
You can always boost the gun rail hight up or down depending on the situation by making it adjustable. I have found the 475 hight to be perfect for both long and very close range snap shots though so just stick to that. I am an average build and hight.
I hope that helps.

Kind regards, Olaf

When making non - adjustable seats for use by various people in various sites, I have always made them 22 inches from the face of the seat to the top of the rail . I have found this to be a good average.

i agree with glyn 1, 22 inches from face of seat and the front shooting rail 35 inches from back on of seat,

We found that a high seat with a fixed shooting rail could be adjusted ( within limits) by moving the bottom of the ladder in or out a bit
Marcher

I have sixty high seats and made most of them my self. I like to adjust the rail on site sometimes with a block on the rail to allow for uneven terrain. Then some six foot six hunter sits on and says its to low. So after making all those seats there is not a good size answer. I cannot see why you don't fit the rail on site you then know you got it right . But if you find the ideal height let us all know.

Mine are 21inch and suit from 5ft 9 to 6ft.1 and I am sure if some one out with this high range saw a deer they would get in a position.

Back