Thread: Nearest vets practice

Nearest vets practice

A cautionary tale

Yesterday I was on a syndicate pheasant day, beat one stand one and on the third drive we beat a thick wood towards the standing guns. As we neared the end of the wood one of the dogs was seen limping badly and the owner duly inspected her to find a large puncture in the side of her chest. The drive was stopped as there was a lot of blood and the dog was quickly taken back to the vehicles.

Most of the syndicate members travel between a hour and two hours to the shoot; where was the nearest vet? After some discussion and numerous conversations over the radios a vets was identified within 10 minutes of the shoot. The dog, owner and local beater who knew where the vets was were dispatched. After treatment and a nights stay in the vets the dog is doing fine.

The reason for this thread, a lot of us travel with our dogs some distance to our respective shooting grounds and some distance from our own vets. How many of you know where the nearest vets practice is to your shooting ground? As we found out, due to our location there wasn't a mobile phone signal so that ruled out an Internet search.
    It's worth a quick check while sat in the comfort of your home to locate the nearest vets practice, so in an emergency you can get the best treatment for your loyal companion.

Enjoy the festive period.

ATB 243 Stalker
    Last edited by 243 Stalker; 18-12-2014 at 11:39.

That's a very good point! Glad the dog's ok

There is a simple search tool here, by town or postcode.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

There's an APP for smart phone called "dog friendly UK" along with places to visit, hotels etc it also has vets and working on your phones location will show you all the closest including contact numbers Then when selected will drop into Google maps and work as a sat nav.
    Personally it's best to know the info before hand a few years ago my Weimaraner was bit in the face by an adder. It took me 15 minutes to get back to the car and a further 10 minutes to get to the vets I phoned ahead while on route as I had the emergency number already in my phone and knew where the surgery was.
    The dog pulled through but didn't look good for a few days

Thanks, I hadn't considered this one Tom