Who's been a good boy? Santa came early!

Lampwick

Two new rifles at last, thanks Santa.

After quite a period of window shopping I finally settled for my .243 and .308!

Got a great deal from The Colchester Shooting Centre too. Thanks.

Plumbed for a Tikka T3 lite in .243 and.................. Wait for it.......

A "new" Parker Hale 1200 .308 which has never had a round through it, and I love it already.

I have a couple of questions re The PH;

Can I remove the foresight without cutting it off?
What would be a reasonable set up for the scope? (Haven't got one yet but probably going to get a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50) I will be using it "occasionally" for longer distances than the Tikka and on the range.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 106
Great rifles the old PH's - you are very fortunate to happen upon that 'sleeper'. Got one in 8x57 as my 'go to' rifle with a 6x42 Burris in Leupold mounts and rings. Not sure about removing the foresight.

If anyone's interested (and I'm not connected in any way) he has a number of bargain priced rifles for sale.

Two new PH rifles .308 and .270!

Really nice chap too!

That is a beautiful old rifle. I had one in in .375 H&H, now replaced with a Sako L61R. You were attracted to it as you found it, so I encourage you to leave it unmodified for a while, until you use it for a year or two of hunting.

You don't need to remove the front sight. Your scope will look over it.

The hood slides off.
You can use a sight pushing tool to gently push the blade our of the ramp, exposing a screw which holds the ramp on the barrel. If you are unfamiliar with all this, just take it to a gunsmith or shop and they will have it off in a jiffy. Put it all in a sturdy little zipper bag and label it, inside and out.

Before you do that, I would recommend shooting it with the iron sights. You may be pleasantly surprised. Few modern rifles, and usually only the more expensive ones, come with good open sights. You can put some Warne bases on it, and Warne QD rings, which will let you remove the scope and replace it without loss of zero. You can have two scopes, a high power one for target work, and a small low power one to keep the rig light and easy handling.

Think about becoming accustomed to a wonderful firearm, rather than making it accustomed to you.

Good find on the PH, it looks spotless.
Did you receive your tikka rings today, they were posted first class recorded, if not I would think they will arrive tomorrow. Let me know when you receive them.

That is a beautiful old rifle. I had one in in .375 H&H, now replaced with a Sako L61R. You were attracted to it as you found it, so I encourage you to leave it unmodified for a while, until you use it for a year or two of hunting.

You don't need to remove the front sight. Your scope will look over it.

The hood slides off.
You can use a sight pushing tool to gently push the blade our of the ramp, exposing a screw which holds the ramp on the barrel. If you are unfamiliar with all this, just take it to a gunsmith or shop and they will have it off in a jiffy. Put it all in a sturdy little zipper bag and label it, inside and out.

Before you do that, I would recommend shooting it with the iron sights. You may be pleasantly surprised. Few modern rifles, and usually only the more expensive ones, come with good open sights. You can put some Warne bases on it, and Warne QD rings, which will let you remove the scope and replace it without loss of zero. You can have two scopes, a high power one for target work, and a small low power one to keep the rig light and easy handling.

Think about becoming accustomed to a wonderful firearm, rather than making it accustomed to you.

Thanks for this, I am really chuffed with it. I was interested in the removal of the foresight as it is screwcut and wanted to open up options for a moderator!

I have had a shot or two with the open sights and am really quite happy with it. It is a keeper that's for sure.

Cheers

ps not got the rings yet Cadex should be here tomorrow then. Cheers

Back