What's your favourite shotgun ?

Winchester 101. Been shooting it for 38 years. Don't miss much with it and so feel confident in its use. Got a few others but this one is a stayer.

My late father's.

A Henry Clarke of Leicester 12 bore boxlock ejector bought for him in 1919 for his twelfth birthday. So been in the family for just five years short of a century. Eventually I got around to taking it up I had to have it re-stocked the original stock being shortened for my father and then for my father as he grew in build and height lengthened with a piece of black ebonite. Not pleasing to the eye. So off it came!

But my favourite that gets little use is the French Model 28E Robust easy-opening boxlock ejector in 16 bore. But it is really a "cabinet Queen" as the Americans call such things I believe. However I mostly use in fact a 12 bore BSA "de luxe" boxlock ejector that was made in the 1920s although only bought by me, from a dealer in the West Country via the Shooting Show at Newark in about 2010.

Last edited:
AYA no 1 shared between me and my dad he enjoys pheasants and ducks and a mossberg 835 pigeon gun

both nice guns at completely different ends of the market

My favourite shotgun is my £75 Baikal "MADE IN USSR"
The main thing I like about it is the fancy engraving of a woodcock on one side and what could be either a duck or a turkey on the other side. That's probably why it was so expensive. Awesome!

The best gun I had was a Joseph Osbourne sbs damascus barrels 2 1/2" chamber.
It was so good I hardly ever took it out. Finally saw the light and sold it to finance a first stalking rifle. I still have it....a Tikka 590 in .308, great rifle.
The Mossberg 500 does me fine,never afraid to take it out in any weather. Changed the 28" adjustable choke barrel for a 24" ported multi-choke barrel.Fitted a sling and very happy with the end result. It's handy from a pigeon hide and takes 3" shells, very functional.
Boyds do some nice laminated furniture so am toying with changing to that. Let's get Christmas over and paid for first though.

I started off with an investarm 20g was a great gun. Sold it and wish i had it back shot all sorts with it from geese to snipe foxes and hares. I now have a silver pigeon 12g but i will get an investarm again 1 day.

A Mossberg 500 is the most used gun in the cabinet, action worn well, hardly any finish left and a 24 inch tube with no choke has worked for 35 plus years, would never part with it but the riot gun has a bit more about it. Close call though.

Two pump actions ? ... you'll get the reputation of being a gangster :).
It's interesting to see people's face light up when they pick up my Mossie...all that TV and film stuff I suppose. Another advantage of guns like that is that they're modular, if something breaks or doesn't suit then it just gets replaced.
I did want an Ithaca 87 as I'm a lefty sometimes righty and it ejects downwards. All I could find though were rather dodgy ex Vietnam ones with barrels extended from 18" to 24".

Berretta Jubilee 20 gauge. Looks absolutely fantastic. Handles equally as well. Don't believe those that just say that it's not much different from a EELL because it is. However it does cost twice as much. Sadly it spends less than 5 days a year out of the cabinet as the Sako gets all the use these days. I wouldn't ever sell it though as I hope it will get handed down through many generations.
Baguio

It would have to be any side by side. They are so much better looking than over and unders. I have 4 in my cabinet, my favourite ' go to 'shotgun is my 1878 Damascus barrelled William Powell, very open choked so flatters my game shooting!

My top 5 would have to be:

Boss 20 Gauge over and under rib less 29" barrels
Stephen Grant side opening hammer ejector
Purdey top lever hammer ejector
Browning B2G light weight game
Warrilow of Chippenham Top lever hammer

perhaps make that 6 and add Auguste Francotte 16Gauge side lock in yummy!

This might seem a fantasy league but they are all in my immediate families possession so have been fortunate to have shot them all and own three of them.

My Browning B125 28inch barrels. Incredibly fast and pointable, out swings any 20 bore I have tried and fetched down some of the highest birds on a few top shoots. Also laid a few grouse to rest.

BearGunRED.jpg

This one.
Loaded with rifled slugs.
Makes bears keep their distance.~Muir

My Miroku MK60....I traded in my first shotgun - A Baikal, best Russian scaffolding plank and gaspipe, it was fine but I just couldn't get on with the shape of the fore-end - for the MK, and that's been used for everything since, from pheasants to squirrels to foxes. Choked 1/4 and 1/2, proofed for steel, 28" barrels, picked up various scratches & dings along the last few years....and when/if this one conks, I'd quite happily have another exactly the same.:D

Have an old browning gti ultra it's getting on now had some great fun with it brought in1987 when I was 17 fits ever so well have now pasted it on to my 14 year old son how all so shoots very well with it

My top 5 would have to be:

Boss 20 Gauge over and under rib less 29" barrels
Stephen Grant side opening hammer ejector
Purdey top lever hammer ejector
Browning B2G light weight game
Warrilow of Chippenham Top lever hammer

perhaps make that 6 and add Auguste Francotte 16Gauge side lock in yummy!

This might seem a fantasy league but they are all in my immediate families possession so have been fortunate to have shot them all and own three of them.

You're a very lucky man JasonH. As the only person in my family who even owns a gun I don't have that luxury sadly :cry:!

Back