which case lube? pros and cons?

Druid

I've always used Lee stuff just cos thats what came with the kit, I apply it with my fingers. Should I change?

just with fingers but clean them or powder will stick inside neck i just use a old neck brush and old rag

I've used Lyman "Heavy Duty" in the old metal toothpaste tube, Lyman in the plastic tube, RCBS in the plastic tube and the "new" RCBS Lube 2 in the plastis bottle. Also the Imperial Case Sizing Lube. All will work if you use them correctly but because it is easier to get just the right amount and easier to clean off the Imperial is the best IMHO of all of them. After that Lyman or RCBS is pretty much the same. The Lyman "Heavy Duty" was a grease rather than a liquid like the other Lyman and both RCBS offerings.

I've also gone all expensive and purchased the Redding free floting carbide sizing ball "add on" to try in my .270 Winchester loadings. It has done away with the need, in the short time I have tried it out, as far as I can judge for using that proprietory grey colour dry powder on the case necks.

So I'd also advise the Imperial Case Lube.

I use lyman spray lube now,its easier to wipe off, I dont spray the cases. Only the foam in the tray and roll them, its a bit pricey but it goes a fare way,

Hornady One Shot, aerosol spray on. I took some convincing but found it is easy to use, no mess, dries quickly, good stuff. For example, you can lube 100 cases just as quickly as you can give the tray three or four turns and spray them from different angles including above to lubricate inside the neck.

I'm still working my way through a few bottles of the RCBS lube. Whilst it works fine as a lubricant my only complaints are:

1) It's like trying to squeeze treacle through a pin hole getting it out the bottle
2) It can be easy to overlube and not just the case. Lube builds up in the die and before you know it you have dented shoulders on the cases.

I suppose 1) minimises 2) but still!

How does the spray on and wax type stuff compare with the liquids regards getting the amount right?

Alex

Imperial Sizing Wax for FL Sizing and Imperial Dry Neck Lube for Neck Sizing, both very good indeed, clean and easy to use.

I'm still working my way through a few bottles of the RCBS lube. Whilst it works fine as a lubricant my only complaints are:

1) It's like trying to squeeze treacle through a pin hole getting it out the bottle
2) It can be easy to overlube and not just the case. Lube builds up in the die and before you know it you have dented shoulders on the cases.

I suppose 1) minimises 2) but still! How does the spray on and wax type stuff compare with the liquids regards getting the amount right? Alex

I reckon RCBS lube is the crapiest on the market. A real pain in the A$$ to use.
Lee still messy but better.
Spray stuff OK if you get the amount right but shoulder & case dents if you dont, - so too hit & miss.

Imperial & Hornady Unique easy to use, easy to clean off and just a wizz through inside the case neck with a nylon brush to clean gets it done. ATB

Layman spray lub,

No mess,no fuss,

Fl or neck size

trim if needed

Once done drop them in the 3.5 ltr ultrasonic cleaner 30 mins later, like new,

Inspect, prime load and job done,

Paying £9 a can but I have just used the first one and I started it about this time last year,

Bob

Last edited:
Hornady Unique is good stuff & a tub lasts ages. Simliar I believe to Imperial..?

Quite True! When it was first introduced it was mentioned that it was a form of wire extrusion wax applied to case resizing. I have a tub marked "Pacific" which makes it at least 25 years old. About 2/3 gone tho I'll admit, I use One Shot for almost everything except the heaviest reforming jobs. When I'm expanding neck diameters I like to dip the case mouth into Unique before I run it over the expander.~Muir

Layman spray lub,

No mess,no fuss,

Fl or neck size

trim if needed

Once done drop them in the 3.5 ltr ultrasonic cleaner 30 mins later, like new,

Inspect, prime load and job done,

Paying £9 a can but I have just used the first one and I started it about this time lady year,

Bob

No mess, No fuss?? But you have to clean them afterwards in an ultrasound and then dry them.

No mess, No fuss?? But you have to clean them afterwards in an ultrasound and then dry them.

I could just sit there with a cloth, but I have a routine I stick to and the brass comes out like new when done. I inspect them and then lay them out on a stainless tray lay that on my heater in the gun room so when I need them they are dry clean and ready to load,

I don't like to have dirty hands as my daughter must not come into contact with anything that can cause here issues,I can't even use the rubber gloves as they can carry powder or another substance that can betransfared to josie,

Bob

I give my cases a bit of a tumble first, then resize, wipe dry,cut, trim and clean out pockets then back in the tumber until gleeming

Back