Deer Scope

Nobleman

Going for my first Deer Rifle in the New Year i've decided on the Calibre and the Rifle but not the Scope, Decided it will be fixed mag and narrowed the choice down to Four - Schmidt/Swaro 6x42, 8x50, 8x56 or 10x42 i already have a 6x42 and like it a lot question is do i buy another the same or go for one of the other three ? It will mainly be used at Dawn/Dusk for Roe and Fallow in wooded areas, Im leaning towards a 8x56 but thought i would throw the question out there as i have no real knowledge of how the other three would perform for my needs.
Thanks.

Recon when you go for your second deer rifle it'll be with a variable scope. Might as well consider it now....
In some cases 6 or 8 mag is way too much, in other cases 6 mag might be too little. A variable around 3-12 or 2.5-10 will be more flexible.
edi

Schmidt 8x56 Classix - superb fixed mag scope with low light ability (A7 reticule is great too as it's basically a free range finder - ass to chest a Roe will fit between the fatter crosshair bars).

I think they're on at a good price too at the moment - although I've got swarovski on my rifle I bought a Classix on Friday for a new rifle project in January - regardless it's a good investment imho

6x42 on two rifles, never had a deer complain, I have 4x32 on another which works well also

My first scope was a fixed 6x, on a .22. I still have it an the rifle. I have shot 6x my entire life, and have a 6x40 Swift on a .30-06 now ( see Old Faithful ), and four 6x42s.

But if you are hunting in dark woods, where shots are close, I would go with a 4x Swift or Weaver. In a variable, I would look at a 1.5-6x42, and really consider one with an illuminated dot with brightness settings. You don't need top German glass here. Leupold VX/R, or Bushnell Elite will do it. Both offer German #4 and duplex reticles.

I've used all manner of scopes but have just zeroed in a swarovski 6x42 and I'm bowled over by it.
For woodland stalking it just seems so right, I'm a convert !!!

So much so I've swapped my zeiss variable onto my .308 and will now be using the 6x42 on my daily shooter.

56mm is too big for me on a stalking rifle and I prefer 50mm or less. I have used a fixed 6x42 with satisfaction but would be tempted by a swarovski 8x50. To be honest I would suggest a 3-12 x50 as the most flexible stalking scope for most people.

When I bought my 243 it came with a meopta fixed 6x42 I was going to change it right away. but after using it I found it to be spot on for what I use it for. field and woodland. I too am sold. only thing is the heavy steel body.

308....meopta r1r 3-12x56 illuminated
243....meopta 3-12x50
17rem....meopta 6-18x50 side pa for nv
22....snb 6x42

Need to have a clear out of some of my other scopes.
Burris 2.5-10x50 4200 elite il dot
Deben night tech 4-16x56 il mil dot
Whitetail classic 1.5-5x20
Hawke endurance 3-12x50 il dot
A couple of ebs too!

Going for my first Deer Rifle in the New Year i've decided on the Calibre and the Rifle but not the Scope, Decided it will be fixed mag and narrowed the choice down to Four - Schmidt/Swaro 6x42, 8x50, 8x56 or 10x42 i already have a 6x42 and like it a lot question is do i buy another the same or go for one of the other three ? It will mainly be used at Dawn/Dusk for Roe and Fallow in wooded areas, Im leaning towards a 8x56 but thought i would throw the question out there as i have no real knowledge of how the other three would perform for my needs.
Thanks.

go for either swaro or zeiss or S&B

6x42 or 4x32, I'd go 4x32 if i was you, maybe an old zeiss diatal

forget 8x56, way too much in so many ways, weight, length, height messing up your line of sight, too much mag (8x is good for banging steel gongs to 1000yds), etc.

When I bought my 243 it came with a meopta fixed 6x42 I was going to change it right away. but after using it I found it to be spot on for what I use it for. field and woodland. I too am sold. only thing is the heavy steel body.

I had a Meopta 6x42 for Roe as well, it was on my 243. I decided on a 7x50 as I felt the 6 was just a tad too small, ( I do mainly rough/scrub land Roe) LOVE the 7 mag....so, when i got my 222 as well, I put on a Meopta 3-9x42 for the lighter cal.....best of both worlds to my mind...:)

My 243 has a 8x56 which is great as I use it for fox and deer but the 308 I'm buliding will have a 6x42 on top, personally I've stepped away from vari scopes I don't really change the maginfication and find at 6 or 8 the light gathering is poorer than the cheap fix mag scope.

Amazingly it seems that, some of us who have had our old useless 6x42 etc may have been in fashion all along.:rofl:

Amazingly it seems that, some of us who have had our old useless 6x42 etc may have been in fashion all along.:rofl:

Taff, that is only a few old timers on here, I have neither seen a fixed 4-8 mag at the 1000yd range nor hardly see any fixed scopes in our area anymore. Can't actually remember when I saw one last. In Germany it is very similar, I'd say 80-90% have moved away from fixed mag and rightly so. Many deer are shot at very close range where the 6-8 mag is just too much, I often neck/spine shoot deer at 200m and feel more comfortable with extra mag. Fixed mag is a bit like a car with one gear....
edi

It would also be useful to know how much you are willing to spend?

Whatever i need to is the honest answer, i will be buying s/hand so i thought £500-£600 Tops should see me right, i understand what people are saying about variables but i really want to get away from them and go fixed, i have nothing against them its just personal preference.
Judging by the comments it looks like 8x56 is a no go which means that the 10x42 will be out of the frame also due to too much mag, i will have try and have a look through some of the scopes mentioned especially as 4 x mag has been quoted a couple of times and which i must admit i had not considered.

Last edited:
Back