Stick makers. . . advice please.

Cut+Squirt

Whilst extracting two roe the other day I have bent my hazel walking / stalking stick.

Instead of dragging two carcasses I fed the stick through the beasts back legs and carried them, one over each shoulder suspended style.

Anyway upon getting home I have noticed my stick now unsurprisingly resembles a banana.

The stick means a lot to me so would really like it back to its original shape.

Can any of the stick makers advise how to go about straightening it please.

Hi there,I make sticks and it sounds as if you have damaged the fibres of the stick,try and steam the stick and gently straighten it ,then cool it ASAP with cold water and see how the stick perfoms,it maybe beyond repair .i hope this helps

allan

There was no steam about when you re-set it's profile so simply leave it outside for a day to ensure a certain moisture content and then bend it back into shape using your eye.

No magic here.

K

Wrap stick in an old soaked towel then wrap in tin foil and heat with a heat gun and this should steam the wood
Put gloves on and a towel on your knee and bend the stick to take the bend out

There was no steam about when you re-set it's profile so simply leave it outside for a day to ensure a certain moisture content and then bend it back into shape using your eye.

No magic here.

K

I had already tried that mate but the shank was too springy.

The stick is currently 'steaming'. . . I shall update in due course, thanks for the advice and pointers everyone.

Last edited:
Hate to say but if its gone 'springy' its probably ****ed.
Hang it up by a piece of paracord then tie a heavy weight to the bottom.
Spray it with water then get the hair dryer or better still heat gun on it to really warm it up. Let it cool and hope.

Shoot another two and drag them using the opposing side. :oops:

On a more serious note, I would have thought that exposing them to warm moist air for a few hours, bending it back in shape (or tying some heavy weight off its end) and letting it dry and cool would not do any harm...

Hate to say but if its gone 'springy' its probably ****ed.

Sadly would have to agree with above. See also what allan says.

If some simple heat isn't going to work, either via a heat gun or from over a pan of boiling water, then I fear you'll have to replace the shank. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself then find a local stick maker (there should be one on here). Otherwise I'd be happy to do it for the cost of postage plus materials. I'm presuming here that the stick has some kind of handle - if it is just a plain hazel shank then :cry:

Last edited:
As nutty said. Speak to john on sat and bring ur stick, he's pretty good at that sort of stuff or he could reshank it if it needs

Sorry, I meant to update earlier. . . .

The stick lives on. . As per the advice given I steamed the shank for a while which made it much more pliable.
I then secured it between two lengths of ply wood in my vice and left it overnight.

It has returned to it's original shape and I'm really quite delighted.

There's life in the old dog yet, thanks for the advice and PM's :tiphat:

Back