Best pet insurance

DJC

Hi been done before but I need to know .what pet insurance do most people use and why had a few quotes but not sure which to go with .

Thanks
DJC

I would look for lifetime cover, minimum 4k per condition per year cover. I use petplan, not the cheapest but reliable when you need it

Petplan... the only insurer that pays on invoice and doesn't try to offer less than the costs accrued.
That is why vets love Petplan.

I was with directline last year but they added over £10 a month to this year's premiums, so went with Argos lifetime premium cover for our 3 cats.

we got sainsburys for the dog,71/2 grand per item covered and they deal direct with vitenry ,so james herriot gets his and we get no stress

An off duty Vet once told me to save the monthly payments in a sweetie jar and at the of the pets life there will be money in the jar. Thats how insurance works, legalised theft.

I've got to say that I've tried insurance for my dogs over the years and always been out of pocket. I'd have been better off paying for any treatment and saving the premiums. So that's what I do now. Of course it's a bit of a gamble, but over the long term, it pays. Else those insurance companies wouldn't do it.

I've got to say that I've tried insurance for my dogs over the years and always been out of pocket. I'd have been better off paying for any treatment and saving the premiums. So that's what I do now. Of course it's a bit of a gamble, but over the long term, it pays. Else those insurance companies wouldn't do it.

I must be unlucky then having lost 2 dogs this year. Both insured with John Lewis
1) dog aged 7 years never ill no claims thoughout his life, insurance payed out the cost of the dog as he died before he was 9. So we were in pocket
2) bitch age 6 1/2 years numerous claims £450 after being attacked by a terrier, £2,500 heart operation, then 6 months between £1,000 - £1,200 per month heart medication etc. then the cost of the dog as she died before she was 9.
They never quibbled about costs and even payed vets direct and it was a "true" life policy. Be carefull some will insure for life but will exclude pre existing conditions when you come to renew and £12,000 per year, it's surprising how quick that's eaten up when something goes wrong.
Got another bitch now and she's insured with John Lewis
Choose wisely
Wingy

I've had my dog for about a year now, a springer spaniel.

i got her at 6 months old last december un docked so i got her insured and then docked her on the insurance. after this i was going to stop the insurance but then never got round to it...

in august this year she decided to jump out on my first floor bedroom window while on a phantom pregnancy and dislocate her leg rip all the tendons out of place and be in the vets for 8 days straight.

this whole thing cost me over £3500 and without insurance i would have never been able to save that up.

her insurance with Esure costs me £12 a month and thats like £3 a week which i don't even notice leaving my account so trust me its worth having.
admittedly no one will think there dog will get hurt in one way or another and that insurance is stupid or whatever but without it id be 3.5k out of pocket rather than spending 12 quid a month.

end of day tho chap its unto you just don't think it won't happen. you don't control a dogs head.

Very simply, you have a legal and moral obligation to an animal under your care. If you cannot afford vets bills, should they occur, and you do not take insurance then you shouldn't have a dog.

Every single day we are forced to cut corners or give suboptimal service because people have animals they cannot afford to properly care for.

I'm not going to mince my words, this gets on my nerves.

Hmm. I think really I've been lucky. Four Labradors over a 35 year period (still got two, 11 and 4) and nothing major. Ear problems with one operation, a hysterectomy, some medication to alleviate creaking bones in old age and of course those final costs.

Although I gamble and have won to date, but Wingy and jamesbilling's posts above tell a different story. It's a personal thing really and what you're comfortable with. The main thing is that the dog's welfare is paramount.

Hmm. I think really I've been lucky. Four Labradors over a 35 year period (still got two, 11 and 4) and nothing major. Ear problems with one operation, a hysterectomy, some medication to alleviate creaking bones in old age and of course those final costs.

Although I gamble and have won to date, but Wingy and jamesbilling's posts above tell a different story. It's a personal thing really and what you're comfortable with. The main thing is that the dog's welfare is paramount.

Thanks for all the replies the post seems to have gone a little of track I was asking which was the best insurance company to go with I want the best for my springer spaniel as I have just pay good money for her

Petplan is the one I use and, after a couple of scares and with no quibbles from them, will stay with.
I have a cocker who's needed a couple of ops and only had to pay the usual surcharge.
Hope this helps

Ed

Very simply, you have a legal and moral obligation to an animal under your care. If you cannot afford vets bills, should they occur, and you do not take insurance then you shouldn't have a dog.

Every single day we are forced to cut corners or give suboptimal service because people have animals they cannot afford to properly care for.

I'm not going to mince my words, this gets on my nerves.

Well said, could not agree more
Wingy

I must be unlucky then having lost 2 dogs this year. Both insured with John Lewis
1) dog aged 7 years never ill no claims thoughout his life, insurance payed out the cost of the dog as he died before he was 9. So we were in pocket
2) bitch age 6 1/2 years numerous claims £450 after being attacked by a terrier, £2,500 heart operation, then 6 months between £1,000 - £1,200 per month heart medication etc. then the cost of the dog as she died before she was 9.
They never quibbled about costs and even payed vets direct and it was a "true" life policy. Be carefull some will insure for life but will exclude pre existing conditions when you come to renew and £12,000 per year, it's surprising how quick that's eaten up when something goes wrong.
Choose wisely
Wingy

My dog ( 2 1/2 year old cocker bitch) was previously insured with John Lewis (and I am a fan of their brand / business ethic) but my premium at renewal went up by 35% this year for no apparent reason - no claims or anything. Went from £20 / month to £27 / month.

Accordingly I did a lot of online checking and got better lifetime cover much cheaper with More Th>n whose service has very good reviews.

Definitely worth a look.

Choose wisely
Wingy

+1 for John Lewis. The only one that seems to cover a condition "for life" not until that specific pots runs out and then you're on your own...

Vets are not allowed to recommend a particular company. Of the vets I know with insured pets I believe they all use PetPlan. Take from that what you will.

BASC offer discount for members via PetPlan.

My wife has a horse (don't judge me) and that is insured with the NFU.

Cheap policies are always worse. If you are thinking of a particular company then you can PM me and I can make a positive or negative noise.

Hi Iain

My insurance with More Th>n has cover for life.

Brgds

T'other Iain

Hello T'other!

I'll see what renewal time brings in May and have a look in that case. It really does make a massive difference if the dog has something nusty, but sticks around for many years

Have a great Christmas & New Year

Cheers
iain

Back