anyone recomend a good sound mod for a 17hmr

i have a sak mod on my weihrauch hw j 60 i know these 17hmrs can't be silenced but i would like to quieten down the initial crack . I would appreciate any advise on this matter as my local gun shop only sell sak & dont seem to be that bothered when i asked them .
thanks simon.

Money no object then I'd go with an L.E.I. 17 mod (i did after trying them all)
If a couple of decibels (at most) are unimportant them a Sac is about as good as it gets.

Neil. :)

PS: If I ever have another HMR it will wear a Sac

If the barrel is less than 18" then the baffles in the mod need to be made of something substantial like stainless or a good grade of aircraft ally (which a SAC is not), or they will burn out (based on experience).

I have used a DM80, since I burnt out the SAC that came with my HMR, and it's still working well after six years and a lot of rounds.

If the barrel is less than 18" then the baffles in the mod need to be made of something substantial like stainless or a good grade of aircraft ally (which a SAC is not), or they will burn out (based on experience).

I have used a DM80, since I burnt out the SAC that came with my HMR, and it's still working well after six years and a lot of rounds.

DM80!! Great mods from a great guy.

Agreed, I used a Sac on an Annie with the 14 inch barrel, and yes the Sac burnt out.
But it took 2500 rounds to do it, so depends on how many rounds you get through.
If it's over a year then £35 a year seems good value to me.

IMO, you can not beat a dm80.

Value for money easy to strip and about the best I have used full stop.

Bob

I had a L.E.I mod on my HMR, but got rid of it in favour of a Oneless Charlie .22 rimfire mod. It's quiet enough for me, no doubt the .17 specific model is even better, plus the baffles and body are stainless. The most important thing in my view for a .17 mod is that it's strippable as the HMR is such a dirty round. I have cleaned what resembles wet cement out of the OLC mod. It was very hard to clean the L.E.I., if not impossible. No point having such a small, unstrippable mod that's not easy to clean if it quickly gets full of crud. Just my experience.

It was very hard to clean the L.E.I., if not impossible. No point having such a small, unstrippable mod that's not easy to clean if it quickly gets full of crud. Just my experience.

Cleaning the L.E.I. was simple, the small ultrasonic from Maplins did a perfect job.
But the reality was I only did it once as I find that the excess will shake or knock out
if you refrain from spraying oil or similar in it after use.

Last edited:
Back