Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ronnie Rose

Ronnie Rose

It is with great sadness that I learn of the passing of Ronnie Rose Snr. last week.

Ronnie was the greatest influence on me in my early days of deer management, and was a true role model. It is indeed a sad loss to the entire wildlife management industry.

My heart, and my deepest condolences go out to his family at this sad time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Rose.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	50669

I am sure that all who's lives he touched will remember him always, and the great work that he did throughout his career.

With sadness,

Mike Allison
    Jelen Deer Services

The likes of Ronnie we will never see again, a true one off.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the game fairs
    A very likeable and knowledgeable gentlemen indeed
    regards pete

Not to speak ill of the dead but I had no time for him personally.
    That said may he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the game fairs
    A very likeable and knowledgeable gentlemen indeed
    regards pete
    Same here

Never knew Ronnie personally, but certainly knew of his work in the deer sector.
    condolences to his family.

Always sad to hear of the passing of a great man. Condolences to his family.

I can mind like it was yesterday as a young boy going up to a byre at his old house with the cubs/scouts and him giving the 'circle of life' talks then we'd all go for a wildlife walk looking tracks and sh*t, Ronie was proabably 1 of the first folk to get me really intrested in nature
    Later on Ronnie let our scout group use an old deserted herd's house (and the district had the nieghbouring house) up in the woods, we used to make kestral boxes etc and brash deer glades and pulling weeds out of a pond. Quite clever really getting a load of stupid scouts to do it fo free and wee loved it too

We used to get up to some right pranks up there when we got older, never forget riding down some of those steep banks on a rusty moris minor bonnet,didnae even need any snow they were that steep, how no one killed themselves i'll never know.

Ronnie also wrote a very good book 'Working with nature' not entirely about deer but actually covers a lot of things that get mentioned on here from time to time like Mar lodge and way red deer are treated plus 'conservatinists' attitude to certain things/predators. Was probably the first person to design forests with deer control in mind so was 1 of the first to leave big rides along burn sides, unplanted areas on specific soil types etc which is now normal practice
    Can't mind if it's in his book but can still mind Ronnie on about re-introing wolves and that would be 30 odd year ago. He used to have some classic wolf photos i'm sure there was a good story to go with them but not 100% wot it was now

For anyone who did the ANCA Deer Management course at Sparsholt the study tour to Eskdalemuir was certainly one of the highlights. Ronnie and his team did us proud and I still recall how enthusiasticly they shared their knowledge and experience. As has already been said, 'Working with nature' is a classic that should be on every deer mans (and Forester/Estate Managers) bookshelf.

Very sad news, Ronnie was a great ambassador for wild life management and conservation, he will be sadly missed, condolences to his family.