Ronnie Rose

Jelendeer

It is with great sadness that I learn of the passing of Ronnie Rose Snr. last week.

Ronnie was the greatest influence on me in my early days of deer management, and was a true role model. It is indeed a sad loss to the entire wildlife management industry.

My heart, and my deepest condolences go out to his family at this sad time.

Ronnie Rose.jpg

I am sure that all who's lives he touched will remember him always, and the great work that he did throughout his career.

With sadness,

Mike

Mike Allison
Jelen Deer Services

I can mind like it was yesterday as a young boy going up to a byre at his old house with the cubs/scouts and him giving the 'circle of life' talks then we'd all go for a wildlife walk looking tracks and sh*t, Ronie was proabably 1 of the first folk to get me really intrested in nature
Later on Ronnie let our scout group use an old deserted herd's house (and the district had the nieghbouring house) up in the woods, we used to make kestral boxes etc and brash deer glades and pulling weeds out of a pond. Quite clever really getting a load of stupid scouts to do it fo free and wee loved it too

We used to get up to some right pranks up there when we got older, never forget riding down some of those steep banks on a rusty moris minor bonnet,didnae even need any snow they were that steep, how no one killed themselves i'll never know.

Ronnie also wrote a very good book 'Working with nature' not entirely about deer but actually covers a lot of things that get mentioned on here from time to time like Mar lodge and way red deer are treated plus 'conservatinists' attitude to certain things/predators. Was probably the first person to design forests with deer control in mind so was 1 of the first to leave big rides along burn sides, unplanted areas on specific soil types etc which is now normal practice
Can't mind if it's in his book but can still mind Ronnie on about re-introing wolves and that would be 30 odd year ago. He used to have some classic wolf photos i'm sure there was a good story to go with them but not 100% wot it was now

For anyone who did the ANCA Deer Management course at Sparsholt the study tour to Eskdalemuir was certainly one of the highlights. Ronnie and his team did us proud and I still recall how enthusiasticly they shared their knowledge and experience. As has already been said, 'Working with nature' is a classic that should be on every deer mans (and Forester/Estate Managers) bookshelf.

Very sad news, Ronnie was a great ambassador for wild life management and conservation, he will be sadly missed, condolences to his family.

Steve

Sad news and Condolences to his family Met Ron Senior when taking my level 1 early 2000s with young Ronnie

ATB Paul D

Sad loss to the deer world,Ronnie always had time to talk to stalking novices and explain deer management. R.I.P.

The deer world has lost a truly good man,he had great forward vision learned by his experience i liked him a lot as i do Ronald i had some great times at Eskdalemuir and learned a lot,may he r i p.!!!

Not to speak ill of the dead but I had no time for him personally.
That said may he rest in peace.

DR your comments are contradictory in their terms. The thread posted is a very personal comment from those who knew this gentleman, and from others in a like mind to respond sympathetically. I never knew this person, but I like other site members share the sense loss of one of our own. You are indeed entitled to express your opinion, but sometimes it is better not to speak at all if the person who you are critiscising is unable to speak for themselves. I bid you a very nice Xmas

I am holding in my hand a signed copy of Ronnie's book given to my ex-wife and myself when first produced, with one of her illustrations on the front. We had two great friends in Ronnie and the late Ken McArthur and although both never suffered fools gladly they are sorely missed by anyone fortunate enough to have tapped into their vast knowledge of deer and wildlife generally.Farewell Ronnie you are a great loss to this world and I hope you and Ken are"blethering" to one another again wherever you are. The Craic will be terrific.
My sincere condolences to Ronald and the Rose family.

I had the pleasure of speaking to Ronnie sometime back in relation to a level 2 candidates portfolio. He came across as a fair and honest man, and we conversed for a while in general. It is indeed a sad loss to the stalking world. Our sincere condolenses to the family.

Met Ronald Rose senior many years ago when doing level 1 at their Fingland training he was a very interesting and well informed man .a lateral thinker he could certainly think outside the box when it came to nature.condolences to Ronnie Rose and family

Ronnie will be sorely missed.

i've known him for years and we served on the SGA committee together. As said already, Ronnie was a marmite type of guy. I like marmite! Not to say we always agreed !!!! Many a " discussion" has been had :D

What Ronnie was, was someone who cared beyond and gave his all to shooting/stalking. His talks to young keepers, was completely un PC but it was spot on! ( all on slides, no power point for Ronnie!)

he he will be sadly missed, they broke the mould with Ronnie!

Back