New to Reloading. what to buy.

jacknell

Iam contemplating starting reloading for my 243 Sako75 as well as a recently purchased 300RUM. I may have the chance of buying a secondhand Rcbs kit of a mate. But to be honest I don't now what to look for or buy. Can anyone offer some Advice on what essentials I will need to buy.

Lee breech lock challenger kit is very good quality and very good value for money. All you need to add is dies and a case length gauge. I don't think that there's any need to go more expensive than this. I'm sure a Lee loader and powder scale would be fine if you want to keep it really simple.

I agree, you dont need to spend a fortune on it, I bought the rcbs basic kit 15 years ago and still use it now, I make really good ammo thats sees me out to 1000yds like a dream, atb swaro

Thanks for the replys... Good to know I dont need everything that is to do with reloading! There seem so many pieces of equipment that people take about it just baffles me. Just need some guidance on what you really need, to do a accurate neat job of loading your own.

A single stage press,Beam scales, powder thrower but not nessasary, lee case trimmer, shell holder and pilot for you calibre,a priming tool, I gave up on lee hand held ones as I broke handle on 2 and use the primer thing on the press ever since, steel wool to clean cases, am sure you will have a cordless screw driver, a shell holder to go in screw driver to speed up case cleaning, calipers to measure oal of cartridge, a die set for calibre your loading for.lube tray and lube or do away with them as use a spray lube, a towel for wiping necks off before you run through the press, don't use the best towels coz the mrs will bollock you:D.i am sure 1967 spud will have everything you need and more

Last edited:
Jacknell - if you aim to reload for the 300 RUM be sure to buy a press with a long stroke of its ram - The RUM is a very big case & a strong press is advisable - essential if you will full length resize the cases.
Don't expect a cheap alloy framed press to do the job. - They will be just about ok for the 243. A RCBS Rockchucker Supreme will be man enough as will a Redding Ultramag or one of the other magnum sized presses- just double check the stroke length is right.
I'm sure someone on here who reloads the beast can tell you what they use.

Ian

Jacknell - if you aim to reload for the 300 RUM be sure to buy a press with a long stroke of its ram - The RUM is a very big case & a strong press is advisable - essential if you will full length resize the cases.
Don't expect a cheap alloy framed press to do the job. - They will be just about ok for the 243. A RCBS Rockchucker Supreme will be man enough as will a Redding Ultramag or one of the other magnum sized presses- just double check the stroke length is right.
I'm sure someone on here who reloads the beast can tell you what they use.

Ian

Yep, I reload 338 Lapua magnum, in a LEE HAND PRESS. And that is full length sizing the brass too.
So, you don't need a big heavy cast iron press, used correctly, any press will do.

Pete

Ok Pete - I stand corrected! LOL. I'd have thought that the load required to use a hand held Lee press to full length size such big cases would make it pretty uncomfortable tho'. The Lee has some pretty poor hand grips.
I do like big strong overkill on presses - just makes the experience of resizing more satisfying for me. - I knackered my hands grafting in industry so ergonomics & smooth powerfull tools are a must for this poor old soul with rheumatics!
Plus I always maintain the mantra that engineering is BRUTE FORCE WITH FINESSE.

Ian

To be fair, it's easier to f/l size the 338 than 222/223/308. I just sit my arse down in front of the TV, and size away. Never more than 70 at a time though, if only due to hating opening two tubs of powder at one sitting.

And, ironically, I broke the hand press t'other day, when a .222 case got stuck !!!! But, have used the hand press for several years now :)

Iam contemplating starting reloading for my 243 Sako75 as well as a recently purchased 300RUM. I may have the chance of buying a secondhand Rcbs kit of a mate. But to be honest I don't now what to look for or buy. Can anyone offer some Advice on what essentials I will need to buy.

Yes! The first essential is to buy a manual. Some buy several, but get at least one. Spud is great for kit, as is the classified section here, but the thing you need to do is to have an understanding of each stage of the process you will be following. There are lots of youtube videos, and a good description of the end to end process here, but there are also lots of caveats, opinions, gadgets and of course reasons for wanting to reload in the first place.

Buy a manual, then you can decide how you will reload, which will determine the kit you need to buy. I could elaborate here, but frankly I've only been reloading myself less than a year so I'm in no position to pontificate!

Yes! The first essential is to buy a manual. Some buy several, but get at least one. Spud is great for kit, as is the classified section here, but the thing you need to do is to have an understanding of each stage of the process you will be following. There are lots of youtube videos, and a good description of the end to end process here, but there are also lots of caveats, opinions, gadgets and of course reasons for wanting to reload in the first place.

Buy a manual, then you can decide how you will reload, which will determine the kit you need to buy. I could elaborate here, but frankly I've only been reloading myself less than a year so I'm in no position to pontificate!

Yes.~Muir

Back